Tonight's Blue Moon
You've heard the phrase, "once in a blue moon"? The phrase often refers to something unusual or rare. A "blue moon" doesn't happen every day—or even every year. As the infographic below from Space.com explains, the name of this event has nothing, really, to do with color.
For more information about the history of the "blue moon," see "Last 'blue moon' until 2015 lights up night sky tonight."
You Might Also Enjoy these Previous Entries:
- Stay Up for the Perseid Meteor Shower
- Diabetic Alert Dogs and Your Breath
- Heat Domes and Cooling Science
- Heavy Metals Turn Waterways Orange
- Water on Mars—From Sci-Fi to Space Science
- A 'Big Blue Live' Look at Marine Life
- Historic New Horizons Flyby of Pluto
- Fascinating Physics of Fluids and Surface Movement