Halloween STEM Ideas
From icky slime to candy coatings, fake blood, wearable LEDs, a fire snake, and things that foam or glow in the dark, we have suggestions for Halloween-themed STEM to explore with students!
With its emphasis on the ghostly, the ghoulish, the gruesome, the spooky, the icky, and, of course, the sweet (to eat), Halloween brings an assortment of exciting themes to October. Science Buddies has science projects, activities, and lessons that tie in with Halloween and can make for great classroom, home, or independent science, technology, engineering, and math learning opportunities. With a bit of trick-or-treat-inspired thinking, teachers can plan fun Halloween-themed activities for science class!
Bookmark or pin one of our Halloween posts or projects for extra hands-on learning fun with students this Halloween!
Free K-12 Halloween-themed STEM projects, activities, and ideas
Try one of these fourteen activities for hands-on science you can easily "dress up" for Halloween:
- How to Make Slime (Teachers! See also the Slime Shop: Engineer Your Own Slime lesson plan.)
- Electronics and Play Dough
- Balloon-Powered Car Challenge (A lesson plan is available!)
- Make a Fire Snake
- The Physics of Fake Blood
- Explore Glow-in-the-Dark Water!
- Make a Lemon Volcano (See also these other foaming, fizzing, and bubbling ideas.)
- Candy Corn Geodesic Dome
- Make an Alka-Seltzer Powered Lava Lamp
- Building a Halloween Brushbot
- Halloween Robots
- Pumpkin Power Project
- Science Projects that Double as Halloween Costumes
- Candy Color Chromatography
For even more fun ideas, see: Spooktacular Halloween Science.
Share your story!
What's your best Halloween-themed idea for hands-on science and engineering with students? We would love to hear how you tie Halloween in with your science class. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to share your story!
Pin this collection:
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
Explore Our Science Videos
Make A Tissue Paper Parachute - STEM Activity
Make Your Own Lava Lamp
10 Robotics Projects Kids Can Really Make!