Super Bowl Science
Score extra points with student sports fans with football-focused science projects.
Super Bowl Sunday is coming up in a few short weeks (February 7, 2016). The teams that will take the field for Super Bowl 50 have not been named, but the science behind perfect spirals and successful field goals is something students can talk about and explore in advance of the big game.
The following project ideas and resources help teachers and parents connect student interest in football to science, technology, engineering, and math.
- The Science of Football Flight
- Football Science: Score Big this Super Bowl Sunday with Sports Science
- Super Bowl Sunday and Science on the Field
- Football Science: Distance and Field Goal Kicking--Increasing the Odds of Scoring
- Field Goal! The Science Behind a Perfect Football Kick (project uses the Ping Pong Catapult kit from the Science Buddies Store)
- How Far Can You Throw (or Kick) a Ball?
- Measuring Concussion Risk in Football and Other Contact Sports
- Football Field Goals: Going the Distance
Go ahead and score a few extra STEM points for this year's big game!
Sports fans can explore science related to other favorite sports in Sports Science projects from Science Buddies.
You Might Also Enjoy these Previous Entries:
- Science Buddies Teacher Dashboard
- New NGSS Lesson Plans
- Philadelphia Classrooms Benefit from Science Buddies Kit Club Program
- Google's Science Journal App Transforms a Cell Phone into a Powerful Tool for Science Class
- Kit Club Helps Level STEM Playing Field
- Lesson Plans Help Teachers Put Hands-on Science on the Calendar
- Giving Tuesday - Help us keep our materials free
- Smart Science Project Display Boards