In celebration of the completion of the Human Genome Project in April 2003, today is National DNA Day. The following Science Buddies project ideas offer an excellent point of entry for DNA discussions and an introduction of relevant concepts.
- Do-It-Yourself DNA
Design a DNA Extraction Kit and use it to purify DNA from strawberries
- Extracting Onion DNA
Extract DNA from onion in sufficient quantity to be seen and spooled.
- A Magnetic Primer Designer
Test how matches and mismatches affect the ability of primers to stick to the DNA that is copied during Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) .
You Might Also Enjoy these Previous Entries:
- Learn More About these 19 Scientists for Black History Month
- 4 Football Science Projects for Super Bowl-Sized Learning
- Student Engineering: Make a Glitter Surprise Package with a Simple Circuit
- Student Success and the Science of Stealth
- Plastic Pollution and World Oceans Day
- Real-world Blood Typing and the Value of Blood Donation
- A Pet Science Project Success
- Laurel vs. Yanny and Student STEM