In celebration of the completion of the Human Genome Project in April 2003, today is National DNA Day. The following Science Buddies project ideas offer an excellent point of entry for DNA discussions and an introduction of relevant concepts.
- Do-It-Yourself DNA
Design a DNA Extraction Kit and use it to purify DNA from strawberries
- Extracting Onion DNA
Extract DNA from onion in sufficient quantity to be seen and spooled.
- A Magnetic Primer Designer
Test how matches and mismatches affect the ability of primers to stick to the DNA that is copied during Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) .
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- 10 Projects to Get Started Building Circuits on a Breadboard!
- Students Race to the Finish with Solar Sprint Cars
- Explore Crater Science to Celebrate Moon Landing Anniversary
- STEM is for Everyone: Temple Grandin, Animal Scientist with Autism
- 5 STEM Activities with Marshmallow Peeps
- 16 Women in Engineering to Learn More About
- Free Resources Support Teacher's Innovative STEM Academy
- 25 Women in Science to Learn More About
Explore Our Science Videos
Is the Egg Raw or Cooked? STEM activity
Build a Gauss Rifle
5 Science Experiments You Can Do With Peeps