In celebration of the completion of the Human Genome Project in April 2003, today is National DNA Day. The following Science Buddies project ideas offer an excellent point of entry for DNA discussions and an introduction of relevant concepts.
- Do-It-Yourself DNA
Design a DNA Extraction Kit and use it to purify DNA from strawberries
- Extracting Onion DNA
Extract DNA from onion in sufficient quantity to be seen and spooled.
- A Magnetic Primer Designer
Test how matches and mismatches affect the ability of primers to stick to the DNA that is copied during Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) .
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- Halloween STEM Ideas
- STEM is for Everyone: Geerat Vermeij, a Paleoecologist who is Blind
- Student Discovers Green Thumb Growing Plants without Water
- Elementary School Student Finds Science Fair Success
- 10 Projects to Get Started Building Circuits on a Breadboard!
- Students Race to the Finish with Solar Sprint Cars
- Explore Crater Science to Celebrate Moon Landing Anniversary
- STEM is for Everyone: Temple Grandin, Animal Scientist with Autism
Explore Our Science Videos
5 Easy Fizzing & Foaming Science Projects
Flower Dissection - STEM Activity
Lift Ice with Yarn STEM activity