In celebration of the completion of the Human Genome Project in April 2003, today is National DNA Day. The following Science Buddies project ideas offer an excellent point of entry for DNA discussions and an introduction of relevant concepts.
- Do-It-Yourself DNA
Design a DNA Extraction Kit and use it to purify DNA from strawberries
- Extracting Onion DNA
Extract DNA from onion in sufficient quantity to be seen and spooled.
- A Magnetic Primer Designer
Test how matches and mismatches affect the ability of primers to stick to the DNA that is copied during Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) .
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- Cornell Senior Cites Middle School Science Fair as Pivotal
- Student Forms Biotech Club to Create Opportunities for STEM Learning
- STEM is for Everyone: Richard Mankin, Entomologist
- STEM is for Everyone: Wanda Díaz-Merced, Astrophysicist
- Extra Credit with the Fluor Challenge
- Explore Coding and Electronics with Raspberry Pi
- 25 Women in Science to Learn More About
- 16 Women in Engineering to Learn More About
Explore Our Science Videos
Make A Tissue Paper Parachute - STEM Activity
Make Your Own Lava Lamp
10 Robotics Projects Kids Can Really Make!