In celebration of the completion of the Human Genome Project in April 2003, today is National DNA Day. The following Science Buddies project ideas offer an excellent point of entry for DNA discussions and an introduction of relevant concepts.
- Do-It-Yourself DNA
Design a DNA Extraction Kit and use it to purify DNA from strawberries
- Extracting Onion DNA
Extract DNA from onion in sufficient quantity to be seen and spooled.
- A Magnetic Primer Designer
Test how matches and mismatches affect the ability of primers to stick to the DNA that is copied during Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) .
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- STEM is for Everyone: Annie Jump Cannon, Classifier of Stars
- 2020 Nobel Science Experiments for K-12 Students
- Halloween STEM Activities
- STEM is for Everyone: Helen Taussig, Pediatric Cardiologist
- Get Inspired by these Hispanic Scientists and Engineers
- Cornell Senior Cites Middle School Science Fair as Pivotal
- Student Forms Biotech Club to Create Opportunities for STEM Learning
- STEM is for Everyone: Richard Mankin, Entomologist
Explore Our Science Videos
Why Won't it Mix? Discover the Brazil Nut Effect
How to Build an ArtBot
How to Make an Archimedes Screw - STEM Activity