science Project question help

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Melindatoth
Project Question: First grade science project idea need feedback
Project Due Date: 2months Nov1,2012
Project Status: I am just starting

science Project question help

Post by Melindatoth »

hi we are thinking of a beginner science fair project for my 6 year old. we need help with the scientific question. the experiment compares the time of simple hand washing and looking at germs with GloGerm at 10, 20 and 40 seconds. the variable is time of hand washing. What might be the best question related to this experiment? is "How does hand washing time affect germs?" appropriate? Any suggestions? Thank you!
sunmoonstars
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: science Project question help

Post by sunmoonstars »

Hi,

I am sorry for the delayed reply! If you have follow up questions, please let me know. I hope this helps:

This page in our Project Guide has some information on how to select a question: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... tion.shtml

Your question: "How does hand washing time affect germs?" answers each of the bullets in the Project Guide (linked above), except: Your science fair project question should involve factors or traits that you can easily measure using a number, or other factors or traits that are easily identified, like colors. The question should address specifically what change you are looking for in the germs - like # of germs remaining. So the question could be:
"How does hand washing time affect the number of germs remaining on the hands?"
Melindatoth
Project Question: First grade science project idea need feedback
Project Due Date: 2months Nov1,2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by Melindatoth »

Hi thank you for your reply, it helps. I am wondering that it may be difficult to quantify the amount if germs, using the GloGerm product. What is your opinion on: "Which location of the hand harbors the most germs after hand washing?" I am not sure of the best way to go about this! We can apply the GloGerm , hand wash normally and look at 4 locations for germs, such as palm, fingers, back of hand etc. any feedback would be great thank you in advance!
sunmoonstars
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by sunmoonstars »

Hi again,

The new question, "Which location of the hand harbors the most germs after hand washing?" doesn't sound like you can design a "fair test", and it still would need to be quantitated.

I do think "How does hand washing time affect the number of germs remaining on the hands?" can be quantitated using the Glo Germ product. From their page: http://www.glogerm.com/using.html there is a nice picture at the top showing the glowing hand after a partial wash. You can design a way to quantitate that glow by estimating the area it covers (which represents the area germs still cover after they did not get washed off) - I would estimate that picture at 50%. Keep it simple and use only 5 ratings: 0% glow, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% glow. Use these ratings to quantitate the results after washing hands for different times.

Is that clear how the question meets the guidelines in the science fair guide, and how to test it? Please let me know if I can help further. That Glo Gel is a unique product!
Tonya
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by amyc »

To add to the excellent information and advice Tonya has given you, I wanted to point out this Science Buddies Project Idea:

Spread the Soap, Not the Germs
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p018.shtml

I am not sure if you were looking at this Project Idea already or not, but since you have moved to consider the areas of the hand, I thought I would mention it. This project is an investigation of which areas of the hand are most difficult to wash germs off and does use Glo Germ. The details of the Project Idea might be helpful to you as you consider the project your student it trying.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”