pepper plants vs bean plants, which grows faster

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

angelinai118
Project Question: What type of plant grows faster, a pepper plant or a bean plant
Project Due Date: february
Project Status: I am just starting

pepper plants vs bean plants, which grows faster

Post by angelinai118 »

I am having trouble finding sources for this project. Could you please help me out. Thanks
HowardE
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: pepper plants vs bean plants, which grows faster

Post by HowardE »

If you haven't found a project exactly like the one you want, make your own!

Take a look at the resource "Preparing Experimental Procedures for a Science Fair Project" (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... dure.shtml). In short, you'll need to get some pepper plants and some bean plants, grow them side by side and see which grows faster. What things will you keep constant? What things will you be manipulating? If you keep everything the same on all the plants except for the type, how will you tell which grows faster? If you write up a description of a project to test the growth rates of both pepper and bean plants, ask your science teacher whether you've devised a workable experiment. Be sure to identify the materials you'll need, the constant variables, the independent variable and the dependent variable. Write up a step by step procedure. It doesn't have to be as detailed as some of the ones we have here, but enough so that your teacher sees that you have a plan.

Perhaps you've seen plants grow in a garden outside. This is an uncontrolled environment, but if they get the same amount of water and sun each day, do some grow faster than others? How do you know? Can you think of a way to make a little garden inside, control all of the variables (water, light, etc) yourself and make those measurements scientifically?
angelinai118
Project Question: What type of plant grows faster, a pepper plant or a bean plant
Project Due Date: february
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by angelinai118 »

Thank you so much. I will take your advice.
connief
Former Expert
Project Question: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.
Project Due Date: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by connief »

Hi there,

The previous expert give you some great advice. I would like to add that you should find out the amount of time it usually takes for pepper and bean plants to grow up and look at that in the context of how much time you have before your project is due. If there is still enough time for the plants to grow up and for you to gather data before the project is due, by all means do it! If the amount of time it takes for the plants to grow is pretty long relative to how much time you have before turning in your project, I would suggest to find some other plants that are faster-growing. Nevertheless, it's great that you're coming up with your own questions that interest you. That's part of the fun of doing science--being able to try to answer something that you really want to learn more about!

Connie

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”