thigmotropism

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

bartichaut
Project Question: thigmotropism
Project Due Date: week of march 23rd
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

thigmotropism

Post by bartichaut »

The science project is testing thigmotropism or a plant's sense of touch.

We planted morning glory seeds and took cuttings from our passionflower which also shoots tendrils. We live in a cold climate and don't know if they will grow or root fast enough indoors for us to test the "touch" response. The seeds are under a lamp as well as the cuttings. We have six weeks until the project is due. Do you think there is time?

Also, we found a jasmine plant at our local supermarket. Do you think we can test the touch response with this plant. It is a vine but doesn't really have tendrils the way morning glories or passion flowers do. Any suggestions will help.

Thanks
sunmoonstars
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: thigmotropism

Post by sunmoonstars »

Hi,

You have 3 different plants to experiment with, I think that is enough. I do not know if the jasmine would work, but it is worth a try, since it is a full plant. I see your concern with the cuttings/seeds, but they have 4+ weeks to grow, and vines grow very quickly, so I think you will be ok. If you are worried, you can plant a few more seeds a couple days later, just in case your first set die or are involved in an accident. But I do think they have the time to grow.

Let me know if you need any more help with your project!
Tonya

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”