Rock candy project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ddawg3
Project Question: I am making rock candy. I used 2 cups of water and 3 cups of sugar. And of course alot of other steps. My project is already made I started my project on friday, feb 8th. It is now sunday feb 10th and my rock candy dosent seem to be growing. What did I do wrong? What can I do to fix it? What should a rock candy project look like on day 2?
Project Due Date: Feburary 15th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Rock candy project

Post by ddawg3 »

I have finished making my rock candy using a process similar to the one from this site. I started my project on friday the 8th and it is now sunday the 10th and my rock candy crystals do not seem to be growing on the string. Please help, what should i do, urgent!!
grace7177
Former Expert
Project Question: Biochemistry
Project Due Date: Completed
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Rock candy project

Post by grace7177 »

Welcome to Science Buddies!

Just to let you know, rock candy projects might take as long as 10 days from start to finish. Meanwhile, you can take note everyday on a data table of your progress.

I would suggest you to review all the procedures found on the link, https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure, which gives an excellent project overview for your rock candy experiment.

For your reference, http://www.sciencebob.com/experiments/rockcandy.php gives a great explanation of how the rock candy forms: "When you mixed the water and sugar you made a super saturated solution.This means that the water could only hold the sugar if both were very hot. As the water cools the sugar "comes out" of the solution back into sugar crystals on your skewer. The skewer (and sometines the glass itself) act as a "seed" that the sugar crystals start to grow on."

Good luck!

-Grace

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”