Measuring glucose

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

kakup6

Measuring glucose

Post by kakup6 »

Hi I buy the kit how sweet it is! measuring glucose in 10 different drinks, I have an error with Starbucks frappuccino, I test 5 times and give me 0% of glucose in the color of the strip, but the total sugar in the nutrition label is 46%, I try with another frappuccino with vanilla drink and happens the same, both are cold drinks, can you help me find an explanation for my result ? its my science fair

Thanks a lot
Daniela
Huangmary727

Re: Measuring glucose

Post by Huangmary727 »

Welcome to Science Buddies,

Because the glucose test strips can only detect glucose, it will not detect the presence of sugars like sucrose or maltose, which are larger sugar molecules. It may be that drinks you previously tested does not have glucose, but a sugar of a different size. You can try the test strips with the following list below (from the "How Sweet It Is! Measuring Glucose in Your Food" experiment from Science Buddies). You may have more success with this.

Foods and juices to test. Categorize as fresh or processed. Some examples are listed below.
Fruit juices: orange juice, lemon juice (you will be surprised!)
Fresh fruit (sliced): apple, pear, pineapple, cucumber, tomato
Processed foods: soft drinks, diet soft drinks, salad dressing, baby food, vinegar, peanut butter, sauces used on fast food hamburgers, ice cream (melted)
Miscellaneous: honey, sugar water (sucrose mixed with tap water), molasses

Let us know if this works!

Mary
Science Buddies Expert

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”