can you help me !

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jokerlee

can you help me !

Post by jokerlee »

Hi,

I would like to test glucose content of different variety of rice. I am thinking of using brown rice, parboiled rice and Basmathi rice. Which is the best way of doing this. I looked at https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p049.shtml

How can I modify the above experiment to use for my rice project?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
17eugenekim
Expert
Project Question: To assist others in the AAE forums
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: can you help me !

Post by 17eugenekim »

Hello and welcome to Science Buddies!

You are raising an excellent question to test. It has been a long time since I've ever worked with glucose test strips, so I would appreciate if another Expert could help me out on this.

The first tricky thing with using rice here is that glucose strips are designed for liquid or other "wet" foods like fresh fruit. To turn rice into liquid, I suppose you could grind it up and mix with water or something.

This will allow you to run the experiment. However, I would raise a key point about rice: rice does not "contain" much glucose.

Rice is primarily composed of "starch", which is a carbohydrate made up of a bunch of glucose molecules strung together. But glucose strips won't detect starch unless it's broken down into those smaller glucose molecules. In the body, we "metabolize," or break down, starch with a variety of enzymes. One dominant enzyme responsible for metabolizing glucose is called salivary amylase, and there's a lot of it in our saliva (spit). So this might sound gross, but one way to make this experiment work would be to get your rice (probably cooked)...and then spit in it.

It's a crude concept but it makes sense according to my knowledge. I hope that helps in some way.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”