APPLE RIPENING *HELP!!* (need replies fast)

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

angelina2001

APPLE RIPENING *HELP!!* (need replies fast)

Post by angelina2001 »

APPLE RIPENING *HELP!!*

I'm planning on conducting this experiment tomorrow for a research paper: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... background

I'll be conducting this experiment on unripe bananas (ripeness can be determined by color) and unripe pears (ripeness can be determined by pressure), but how can the ripeness of apples be determined?

I'm planning on using unripe apples, but I'm not quite sure how to find some at the grocery store.

If I were to do this experiment, with a ripe apple (without realizing) will it still work? Or will the iodine stain solution just say that it is already ripe?
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: APPLE RIPENING *HELP!!* (need replies fast)

Post by SciB »

To determine ripeness of apples I always go by smell [should have a nice 'apple-y' fragrance] and color--golden delicious should be partly yellow, not all green.

I would try as many different varieties as you can because there are probably variations in the sweetness and ripeness. Remember to document all your fruit with photos.

Good luck,

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”