Electric motor generator kit

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

abyan

Re: Electric motor generator kit

Post by abyan »

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. What I am trying to do is to do the comparison between home made generator and a generator built with the help of kit but I and unable to build the generator with kit. It’s not working as it is not lightning up the LED. I have re-wind the coil but still it’s not working. It is only showing a voltage of 0.05V. I have wind the six layers of coil as suggested by either you or by somebody else on the forum.
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by LeungWilley »

I am sorry to hear that the rewinding did not work. Are you able to adjust the force being applied to the shaft (i.e. spinning with a heavier weight) to boost the voltage output?

Willey
abyan

Post by abyan »

I’m sorry I didn’t get you what do you mean by heavier weight do you want us to increase the magnet ?? We have tried to speed up the rotation with the drill machine and the highest volatage we got was 0.06v .
Thanks
LeungWilley
Former Expert

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi Abyan,
For the weight, I was referring to the bucket mentioned in the procedure (Test Your Generator section) where it initially suggested that you use 90 grams as a starting point. (It then had the suggestion of different coins / weight in Table 1)

Also, please confirm whether the 0.06V that you measured is AC or DC?
Thanks!
Willey
abyan

Post by abyan »

Hi,
We did some more trial. One trial was by identifying north and south poles of the magnet and arranging them in alternate sequence I.e. North, south, North, south... and then in direct sequence I.e.North, North, North...to produce alternating and direct current respectively.

We also rotate the magnet bolt with the help of drill machine so that magnet rotate with fast speed but both of our efforts not resulted in success.
LeungWilley
Former Expert

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi Abyan,
I am sorry to hear that you latest attempt failed. I do want to note though that you can't generate DC by simply aligning the magnet in the manner you described. You will need a commutator (carbon brushes) in order to generate DC.

Please take a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6RZscXzuN4

The setup in this experiment is for AC only. I am still confused about how you have things setup. If I am looking at picture 17 of the procedure, does your drill replace the bucket and string setup? If so, can you confirm that if you spin it by hand, whether the LED lights up or not? (If you put the drill on it, I am worried that you might have burned out the LED).

Willey

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”