My curious little girl made a mess!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Fessyfun

My curious little girl made a mess!

Post by Fessyfun »

"Daddy you said my cup was 8oz but my bubble gum toothpaste says it's 8oz-see!- why is it more then my cup! Your not giving me a full cup of chocolate milk at night"
As a cook i tried to explain how there are fluid measurements and dry measurements. But I had to admit that the toothpaste wasn't dry LOL! So the Google challenge arrived! Yet we can not find how to convert a gel into a liquid measurement!
She is quite intrigued with science and I want to continue to encourage her so a little help, a nudge towards some resources would be much appreciated.
emillan

Re: My curious little girl made a mess!

Post by emillan »

Hi, Fessyfun

Typically, when we talk about ounces, it's referring to the weight of the object. But, in a measuring cup the "ounces" refers to liquid ounces which tells to how much that volume of water would weigh. In short, your toothpaste was measured by its weight while your measuring cup uses volume (which is why they don't exactly match up).

I hope this helps!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”