roof design / wind effects

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

GStephens

roof design / wind effects

Post by GStephens »

i am doing a project on the effects of wind on roof design. (Gambrel, Gable and flat roof) How well do they stand up to high winds? we have had several tornado touch down in our area this year so i am interested in this topic. I got the idea off of Science buddies but I am changing it a little. I am trying to figure out what kind of graph and data collection will work best in order to show the results of the project. I am using a fan and I have made 3 model houses with the 3 roof designs out of foam core.

How should I test them exactly and how should I graph the results ?
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: roof design / wind effects

Post by norman40 »

Hi GStephens,

I'm assuming that you've adapted your project from the one described here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... gs#summary

When the “wind” from the fan blows on one of your roof designs, you might expect 1) the model house to survive, 2) the model house to tip over, or 3) the roof to fly off. You may need to experiment with the distance and angle between fan and the model house. Once you have established the positioning you want, keep it constant for all of your testing.

After completing several tests for each roof design you might count the number of the above outcomes observed for each design. A bar chart can be a very effective way to graph this kind of data. In this case the roof designs could be shown on the x-axis and the outcomes can be shown on the y-axis.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”