physical science

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

omjan

physical science

Post by omjan »

hi, my 6th grader is doing science fair project on Hypothesis: can surface tension of water hold 5ounces to 8 ounces of weight?

we need help how to do the demonstration? what objects we take with given weight to show our experiment?

and if hypothesis is proved wrong what is to be ststed in conclusion?
cumulonimbus
Former Expert

Re: physical science

Post by cumulonimbus »

Hi omjan,

Sounds like an interesting expertement! For the hypothesis, it is most helpful to make a statement in the if-then-because format. For example, "If the weight balancing on the surface of water is increased to (some number) ounces, then the water (will/will not) be able to support it because (some explanation involving surface tension). For the demonstration, I'm not sure exactly what your experiment is so I can't provide specific details. 5-8 ounces, however, is a lot of weight for surface tension to support. I would suggest using a lower weight and adding paper clips to the surface of the water. If the hypothesis is proved wrong, say so in the conclusion -- it's fine to be wrong! -- but add a scientific explanation of why.

If you're unsure of how to get started, you could look at a few sample projects about surface tension under the Science Buddies "project ideas" tab.
I hope this helps!

Elena
omjan

Re: physical science

Post by omjan »

thank you very much !!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”