plastic to fuel working model

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Snigdha210905

plastic to fuel working model

Post by Snigdha210905 »

We have our science fair coming up soon and we have decided to make a plastic to fuel pyrolysis machine. Also, we have decided to make the machine in such a way that it can be programmed and work as a robot. So, we want to know that is it possible to make the robot in such a way? Also what all do we need to do for it? I am a class 8 student.
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: plastic to fuel working model

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi Snigdha210905,
Sounds like a very interesting topic!

Just taking one step back though, can you help me understand what background research you have done so far? Based on the background research that you have completed, it will be of great help in figuring out how to construct the experiments. (I am sorry to say that I am not seeing the connections between the robot and pyrolysis at the moment)

Here's a quick guide:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... an#keyinfo

Thanks!
Willey
Snigdha210905

Post by Snigdha210905 »

We can skip the robot part for the time being. So, we have attached the diagram of our appratus. The background research that we have done is that:
it is based on the scientific principle of pyrolysis
the components that are used are mentioned in the attached image.
The problem that we are facing is
we are not able to understand some of the mentioned components and we'd request you to please tell us about the same, the catalyst especially. we are not sure of which substance to be used as catalyst.
and
we also need find out the temp at which the plastic vapours will condense and how can we achieve it.

more about the project:
we are heating HDPE plastic with the help of nichrome wires , condensing the vapours and producing the fuel. This is the basic apparatus we are using. our main objective is to collect fuel produced by this plastic.

Following are the links we have referred to:
u can have a look at these:

https://www.notesera.com/2017/05/26/cbs ... 10-and-12/

https://www.slideshare.net/PadmanabhanK ... -pyrolysis

Regards
Attachments

[The extension docx has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

LeungWilley
Former Expert

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi,
Those are some interesting reading! I have to admit that I am probably not the right expert to be answering these questions and will post to the expert team and see if we can get someone with a chemical background to help address the issues that you have raised.

In the mean time, I did a little "googling" with the search term "catalyst used in pyrolysis" and came across several articles that looks promising:
1. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7016306015
2. http://idk.org.rs/wp-content/uploads/20 ... MITEVA.pdf

Just from a quick scan, it appears that Zeolite (ZSM-5) is a popular choice for catalyst. (There were mentions of other catalysts such as amorphous silica-alumina, zeolites and ordered mesoporous materials but this appears to be an area of research for determine which one give the best yield.)

Good Luck!
Willey
Snigdha210905

Post by Snigdha210905 »

Thank you for your reply. Please do direct us to the appropriate person so that we can clear our doubts. We have very less time left with us.
Regards
Snigdha210905

Post by Snigdha210905 »

I wanted to know that can our machine fit into a robot. our teachers said it wont be possible but I want your view. What we basically want to do is that we want to make a robot that picks up plastic, puts it inside and then gives out the fuel. Can we fit the machine inside our robot. they say it won't beable to stand the temp.
LeungWilley
Former Expert

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi,
IMHO, it would depend on the size of your robot and the process rate (volume) that you want to achieve. Based on the current state of the technology, I think you are likely looking at a building size robot at a minimum. (And at that point, you are probably spending a lot more time on the robot than the actual process). As an alternative, you may want to consider a fleet of smaller robots (similar to the WALL-E) who bring the material to this machine for process and then refuel using the product from this process. Just a suggestion.
Good Luck!
Willey
Snigdha210905

Post by Snigdha210905 »

Thank you!
We were actually thinking of building small robots. So we can make it like.....a train kind of a thing....i mean not exactly a train but something like ....on a conveyor belt plastic is picked....then converted into fuel on the other side. So, can u kinda help us with that? I mean can we get a rough idea about it since u are an electrical engineer...you'll beable to help us better.
LeungWilley
Former Expert

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi,
Ok, I will certainly try. Please do note though that you are moving away from a science experiment to an engineering project. Please make sure that this is ok. (I just want to make sure you don't spend all this effort and then find that this is not acceptable.)

In regards to a conveyor line, here's an example that should give you an idea of all of the components that will be required. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxkklR3BNFc Plastics, as you know, can be a little tricky so you will want to spend a little extra time thinking about the the sorting process or the acceptable form of the material.

Good Luck!
Willey

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”