help with iron indicator

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

maysoon

help with iron indicator

Post by maysoon »

I am a teacher and was super interested in this expirement : Iron-Rich Foods: How to Get the Most Out of Them

link - https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... rich-foods

The problem is that I have all the materials in school except for the indicator, I want your help and suggestions on what chemicals to use as an indicator because I'm short in time and I'm not sure that if I ordered the kit it will get to me in the right time. I will be very thankful if you help me.
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: help with iron indicator

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi maysoon,
Would you consider a test strip as an alternate? The effects are similar and I think they may be more readily available. In fact, they may even be available at Pet Store that sells Aquarium supplies. Here's a link from Amazon as well:

https://www.amazon.com/LaMotte-2994-Ins ... B007IBOMB2

Good Luck!
Willey
maysoon

Post by maysoon »

Hey, I bought the material you recommended and did the experience but it just won't work out. The results weren't at all satisfying, the iron dissolved faster in the "full stomach" rather than it did in the "empty stomach". What could be the reason for these results?
LeungWilley
Former Expert

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi maysoon,
I am very sorry to hear that you are having issues with the experiment. The results does seems really odd and doesn't make much sense.

Can you give us any additional details from the observation of the experiment please. Specifically, how did the results for the empty and full stomach compared with the control? Also, just to confirm, did you use the indicator or the test strip? If it was the test strip, can you check it against a known source to make sure that they are accurate?

Thanks!
Willey
maysoon

Post by maysoon »

Hey Willey,
I used this as an indicator; https://www.seachem.com/multitest-iron.php
At first I used almond flour and didn’t get any legitimate results, so I switched to using iron supplement (ferrous gluconate).
It dissolved the best in the “full stomach”, then in the control group and the least in the “empty stomach”.
I woul really appreciate your help
Thanks!
LeungWilley
Former Expert

Post by LeungWilley »

Hmm... this is really a strange set of results.

This is outside of my area of expertise but I was thinking that the results you are getting may be related to cross-sensitivity of the test kit. It may also be that the "empty stomach" pH level is too "low" for the kit to work. Let me see if I can notify another expert who have a better chemistry background and get their thoughts.

WIlley

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”