Storytelling Alice Help

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

joojie10
Project Question: Storytelling Alice: Once Upon a Time in a Computer-generated Land
Project Due Date: no due date
Project Status: I am just starting

Storytelling Alice Help

Post by joojie10 »

Hi,
I'm doing the project "Storytelling Alice: Once Upon a Time in a Computer-generated Land." How would I create a flow chart/rough sketch/plan?
Also, in the section "The Final Product," it says I need "a flow chart of how your animation program works, which is a diagram of boxes where each box is a step in the program you wrote." Can you explain what exactly I need to do? This step doesn't make sense to me. Could you maybe give me an example for what a step would be?
Lastly, for the step "Specify the Requirements," do I write down the requirements that are suggested (such as, it needs to be at least 2 minutes long), or do I write the requirements that I need to tell a good story?
Thank you!
vysarge
Former Expert
Project Question: Student volunteer.
Project Due Date: N/a: see above.
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Storytelling Alice Help

Post by vysarge »

Hello joojie10!

An example of a flow chart would be something like [[this]]. It shows what actions are taken based on what criteria within your program. For example, one box might be "move forwards." This also works for the rough sketch and/or plan.

For the step Specify the Requirements, I think you would probably want to write down the suggested requirements. That would be sort of like the "objective" of your project.

Hope this helped, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions!
-Vysarge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so that each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry.
-Richard Feynman
joojie10
Project Question: Storytelling Alice: Once Upon a Time in a Computer-generated Land
Project Due Date: no due date
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by joojie10 »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. So, in the flow chart, do I write every single action that every character does? That seems like it would take a long time and a lot of paper! Or do I summarize actions/conversations. Like instead of writing out a whole conversation, can I just put "Trevor asks his parents..." Thanks!

Thanks again,
joojie10
vysarge
Former Expert
Project Question: Student volunteer.
Project Due Date: N/a: see above.
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by vysarge »

I'd summarize actions rather than including a lot of detail; as long as it gives an idea of what is going on, you should be fine. Your example is good, and you'd also want to cut out any details like "Trevor turns 30 degrees left" and just say "Trevor turns and moves to the table," for example.

You're welcome, and hope this helped!
-Vysarge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so that each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry.
-Richard Feynman

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”