Trying to run an applet in JAVA... We're lost... Help...

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ribbet
Project Question: Computer Science
How Fast is Your Computer?
Project Due Date: February 2009
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Trying to run an applet in JAVA... We're lost... Help...

Post by ribbet »

I have been trying to run a version of the computer science project that is seen on your science buddies website, titled How Fast is Your Computer? I enjoy working with computers and thought that I could figure this out and learn something about JAVA at the same time. It seemed very straight forward and is rated EASY for 6th graders (which is what I am) but I've followed the instructions and still can't get anything to run.

I went to the Java.sun.com website and downloaded the Java SE 6 with Runtime environment. I've spent several days trying to figure out what to do next - but I don't understand how to create the applet that I'm suppose to be writing. The science buddies instructions show a window that has radial buttons and a helpful window but I can't figure out how to get there.

Is there someone that can give me some guidance. I'm feeling so frustrated and I've really tried to figure this out on my own.

Thank you so much for any assistance that you can give me. I need it... :(

Bryce
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: Trying to run an applet in JAVA... We're lost... Help...

Post by davidkallman »

Hi ribbet,

Welcome to the bulletin board!

If you plug in "how fast is your computer" in the "Search" box in the upper left corner of the Science Buddies Ask An Expert page, one of the outputs is:
Understanding "How Fast is Your Computer"
The reply from wildfirefox should help.
Please let us know if that works. Please also let us know if you have other questions. Thanks.
Cheers!

Dave

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”