Computer Data Types

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

kevinyusei13
Project Question: Does the data type and brand of a computer affect the speed of the computer?
Project Due Date: Done
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Computer Data Types

Post by kevinyusei13 »

Why does the brand type and data type of a computer affect the speed of the computer?
Last edited by kevinyusei13 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vysarge
Former Expert
Project Question: Student volunteer.
Project Due Date: N/a: see above.
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Computer Data Types

Post by vysarge »

Hi KevinYusei!

There are a lot of different things that affect the speed of a computer. The brand type probably affects speed mostly because of the type of hardware. Different computer makers will use different layouts, parts, and materials to construct the computer. If two different processors are used, their efficiency and speeds will differ as well. In addition, each computer has a clock that drives its processor. A 500 MHz clock, for example, makes the computer do 500,000,000 operations per second, while a 100 MHz clock only makes the computer do 100,000,000 operations per second. That means that the first computer is 5 times faster than the second if they are identical in every other way.

Each computer also has a different way of computing things. Different algorithms for storage and retrieval can affect the speed, along with many other factors.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by data type, though- do you mean the way in which data is stored in the computer?

Good luck with your project!
Vysarge
-Vysarge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so that each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry.
-Richard Feynman

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”