Blinking when eyes are closed

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

baileymccall

Blinking when eyes are closed

Post by baileymccall »

Can you blink when your eyes are closed? Whenever you sleep you still have to clean your eyes.
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Blinking when eyes are closed

Post by SciB »

I think blinking by definition means opening and closing the eyes. The eye produces tears to lubricate the eyeball at all times. Blinking just washes the surface a little better I think.

Your eyeballs are still lubricated while you are sleeping even thought the lids are closed. During REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, the eyeball moves under the lid and tears keep this movement fluid.

Some people have problems with dry eyes and have to put in drops before bed time to make sure the surface of the eyeball stays lubricated. I dom't think you can say that you 'blink' while sleeping, but your eyeball does move around and it needs tears to keep things running smoothly.

Do you have safety glasses? ALWAYS wear eye protection when working with tools, chemicals, dusts or anything that could fly up and hit your eyes. I wear safety glasses just doing routine things around the house and yard and many times they have protected me when some liquid or piece of dirt or a branch has hit me in the face.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”