Science Fair Topic

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

lydiagoff4

Science Fair Topic

Post by lydiagoff4 »

Hi there,

I'm currently doing the project "From Bitter to Sweet: How Sugar Content Changes in Ripening Fruit" from your website, and I am trying to figure out what category my project would fall under as I register it for science fair.

Here are some options as to what category it could be in, based off of the list provided to me by my high school:
-Biochemistry
-Biomedical & Health Sciences
-Chemistry
-Cellular and Molecular Biology
-Earth & Environmental Sciences
-Energy (Chemical)
-Energy (Physical)
-Materials Science
-Microbiology
-Plant Sciences

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!
-Lydia
nguyenmccarty
Former Expert
Project Question: Ask an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science Fair Topic

Post by nguyenmccarty »

Hi Lydia! I see how this project could fall into a few categories. Based on your description of the project, I think it makes the most sense to put it under plant sciences or biochemistry. Exactly which is a better fit depends on what types of questions your experiment(s) address. Are you studying the enzymes and chemical reactions that take place in the fruit to generate sugar, or is the project more generally addressing plant-specific processes for sugar production? (And don't worry about picking the "wrong" category; there is almost always overlap between fields in science, so there can be more than one reasonable category for your project!) Hope this helps!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”