From Genes to Genetic Diseases: What Kinds of Mutations Matter? Help needed

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

M2019

From Genes to Genetic Diseases: What Kinds of Mutations Matter? Help needed

Post by M2019 »

Hi, I am not sure how to search up if a gene is non pathogenic on the gene data base. Under the clinical report, if it doesn't say pathogenic or likely pathogenic, does this mean that it is non-pathogenic? Also the the ones that are blank under the clinical report, when I click on them, it doesn't give me a residue change. How am I supposed to do the Non-pathogenic part of the experiment with these complications.

Thank you for reading this, and I appreciate your help!
nguyenmccarty
Former Expert
Project Question: Ask an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: From Genes to Genetic Diseases: What Kinds of Mutations Matter? Help needed

Post by nguyenmccarty »

Hi, there! If it's not listed as pathogenic / likely pathogenic, it most likely just means that there aren't data to specifically indicate that it is pathogenic; you should not assume that it is not pathogenic.

That said, I'm unsure what resource you're referring to. If you post a link to the resource, I can look at it and might be able to help you with the rest of your question!
M2019

Post by M2019 »

hi,

The link of the alleles data base for the CFTR gene is https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/variation/ ... Bgeneid%5D. I will really appreciate it if you could possibly reply today or early tomorrow morning. My science fair is tomorrow.

Thank you
nguyenmccarty
Former Expert
Project Question: Ask an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by nguyenmccarty »

Ok, so too late to be useful for your science fair, but in case this information is helpful to anyone else:

As I mentioned in my first answer, I do believe that if the "Most severe clinical significance" space is blank for a given variant, you cannot conclude that it is non-pathogenic, only that no evidence indicating that it is pathogenic has been reported.

In terms of not finding a residue change listed: Not all mutations/variants cause a change in residue. If you look under the "Variant type" column, there are a number of possible changes in the gene. For example, copy number variation refers to a change in the number of copies of the gene detected. This would not change any amino acid residues in the resulting protein (but potentially change the amount of protein produced).

To get more information on a specific variant, click on the number/link under the "Publications" column. That will take you to the paper(s) reporting that variant, and you can read more about the observed effect of the variant.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”