Temperature and beef liver enzyme

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

kennedis

Temperature and beef liver enzyme

Post by kennedis »

Hi,

I did an experiment on the effects of changes in temperature on the reaction of catalase in beef liver.
I put a small piece of beef liver in hydrogen peroxide (with different temperature) for a minute and used a gas syringe to measure the amount of oxygen produced.
My result is that as the temperature increased, the amount of gas produced kept increasing as well. However, I know that there is supposedly an optimum level, and the reaction should decrease after that level. I am not sure what I did wrong and what temperature should have been the optimum level.

(I would do my experiment again, but our teacher said we cannot do any more experiments.)

I would really appreciate it if anyone can advise me, send me a link to where the data is already provided, or help me do the experiment for me (I will send detailed steps).
lynnsamuelson
Former Expert

Re: Temperature and beef liver enzyme

Post by lynnsamuelson »

In even the best run experiments, sometimes the results do not go as you might expect. In research, this is why experiments are repeated many times, conditions changed slightly and then repeated. And then repeated by other scientists in other locations. It sounds like based on your results that the higher the temperature, but better the reaction.

Of course you know that this is not the case when repeated by others. I encourage you to think through possible factors that could have lead to the difference. Was everything measured carefully? Was the temperature kept constant or did it vary some? These are just a couple of possibilities to think about.

For further reading, I would suggest:

https://sciencing.com/temperature-affec ... 76025.html

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”