Super-absorbent polymer prepared from orange peels

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

lakshu_s

Re: Help Needed: Experiment with Coccolithophorid Algae

Post by lakshu_s »

Dear Mr.Willey/Sybee,

Thanks again for your time. I read in detail all the clarifications sent. I think regarding the calculation part as Mr.Sybee sent, I understood somewhat. But as suggested, let me work on by myself and post my questions this week.

As you mentioned lot of questions came up in my mind, as I read in detail. Thanks Mr.Sybee for giving me a thought to write the procedure before in hand rather than concentrating on other parts of the project. Before ordering the required materials for this project, let me ask my clarifications step by step so I am clarified with the procedure in detail.

I see from the existing procedure, that it is required to construct an apparatus consisting of tubing, a four port manifold, pop bottles and artificial sea water to culture the algae.

I am attaching here with the existing project procedure for reference.

Please find below my clarifications:
1. Do we really need this complex apparatus (as mentioned in STEP A in the existing procedure) to be built to culture algae or is there any simple method to culture?
2. Do we need to prepare soil supernatant to prepare ocean sea water as in STEP B and C?
3. If we need can you please clarify the below
a. Can you please let me know if there is any other way to create apparatus (instead of using tubing A , B with few other steps followed)
b. Do we definitely need PC magic soil to prepare soil supernatant? Or any soil can be used?
c. I see below link for ocean sea salt from amazon. It costs around $40. Do we have anything cheaper than this?
Instant Ocean Sea Salt for Marine Aquariums, Nitrate & Phosphate-Free in Amazon.
d. Also I see online ocean sea water, why can’t we use this rather than preparing our ocean sea water.

Please clarify if there is any other way to culture the algae. Sorry this is the first time I am working on the culture. So getting confused. When I googled, I don’t see much information online. Please bear with my questions :(

Looking forward for your support.

Thanks,
Lakshita
Attachments

[The extension docx has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by SciB »

Hi Lakshita,

I thought you must be busy with school. I'm sure you are an excellent student and work really hard.

Do you have a deadline for your science project? Don't delay too long in getting started as there will always be unsuspected snags that slow down the progress. We can help you with decision making but you still have to do the work and preliminary testing.

If you have any questions, or just want to confirm a procedure, do send a post so we can help. One wrong step or missing control can ruin the whole project, so it is best to write up the procedure and let us read it and make comments BEFORE you get started.

Sybee
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi Mr.Sybee,
Thanks so much for reaching out to me. I did post my clarification in my previous post asking if there is any alternate way to culture the algae. I am also working on the place to start my reasearch. I reached out to my science teachers. Guess I will get some help to use equipments from school. Can you please let me know how to approach a research center to do my experiment.I need lab or research center for this because as per rules I am not allowed to do the experiment at home.
Please guide me for culture and the place to go.
Thanks,
Lakshita
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi Mr.Sybee/Willey,

I guess, I finally figured out the serial dilution calculation. Please let me know if the below steps are correct.

1. I am planning to dissolve 25 grams of Ferric Nitrate in 1 L of distilled water.
2. Planning to take the below diluted concentrations: 50 ppb, 150 ppb, 250 ppb, 350 ppb ( I might leave 350 ppb solution as per your suggestion since I need to do 3 trials in each concentration. So needed to maintain 3 different beakers for each concentration.
Below is the calculation and procedure:
1. Take 1 L of distilled water in graduated cylinder
2. Dump this 1L of water in 1L beaker1
3. Using laboratory scale weigh 25 grams of FeNO3
4. Dump this in 1L of water and stir using stirring rod. Use Strile gloves for entire procedure.

Steps 1-4 gives us the original solution with concentration of 25 ppm.

5. Take 1 L of distilled water in graduated cylinder and dump this in 1L beaker2
6. using pipette take 2 ml out of it and dump away so that now the beaker2 will have only 998 ml of distilled water.
7. take 2 ml of solution from beaker 1 and transfer to beaker 2 so now the total diluted solution will be 1000 ml(1L) in beaker 8. Final diluted concentration in beaker 2 will be 0.050 ppm which is 50 ppb

similarly repeat steps 5-8 taking beaker 3 , transferring 6 ml from beaker 1 to make diluted concentration to be 150 ppb.
10 ml to give 250 ppb and 14 ml to give 350 ppb.

Please clarify if my understanding is correct.

Also please help me with culturing part. your ideas on it.

Thanks,
Lakshita
SciB
Expert
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.

Post by SciB »

Hi Lakshita,

I think I have answered most of your questions from the previous posting, so here is a step by step reply to each of your questions.

1. Do we really need this complex apparatus (as mentioned in STEP A in the existing procedure) to be built to culture algae or is there any simple method to culture?
The purpose of this first part of the experiment is to grow enough algae to provide sufficient volume for the 500 ml bottles used later for the actual experiment. The algae needs aeration to grow. That’s why you have to set up the bottles with an air pump, air filter and manifold. It will take some work to build this set-up (get your parents to help!) but I’m afraid that it is necessary in order to grow enough healthy algae to do the experiment. In fact, I would recommend that you set up four 2-L bottles, each containing 1 L of alga culture so that you will have extra.

2. Do we need to prepare soil supernatant to prepare ocean seawater as in STEP B and C?
I don’t know the purpose of making this soil extract, but it must be to add some necessary nutrients that the algae need to grow, so you cannot omit this step.

3. If we need can you please clarify the below
a. Can you please let me know if there is any other way to create apparatus (instead of using tubing A , B with few other steps followed)
Most hardware or home stores carry clear plastic tubing of the right diameter, so just look until you find it. This set-up is only used initially to grow a large enough volume of culture to use later for the actual experiment, but it is necessary. The algae needs aeration and light to grow, so you cannot change that.

b. Do we definitely need PC magic soil to prepare soil supernatant? Or can any soil be used?
I do not know the answer to that. Look up PC magic soil online and see if you can order it. If not, try to get something similar to it. I don’t know what the soil is supposed to provide the algae so I can’t tell you if you can use a different type of soil.

c. I see below link for ocean sea salt from amazon. It costs around $40. Do we have anything cheaper than this?
Instant Ocean Sea Salt for Marine Aquariums, Nitrate & Phosphate-Free in Amazon.
You don't need very much Instant Ocean because you only need 4 L of algae culture to do the experiment. That is a little more than one gallon. Here are some suppliers for a 10 gallon package of Instant Ocean which is more than you need, but there are no smaller sizes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0002AQGII

http://www.instantocean.com/Instant-Ans ... -Salt.aspx
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/49/8b/a8 ... 4b95f5.jpg
The amount of iron in Instant Ocean when mixed with water is less than 0.04 ppm or 40 ppb. So, this means that all your algae cultures will have a certain amount of iron to begin with. This would be OK if you can find out what it is, but “less than 0.04 ppm” does not tell you the actual concentration of iron in your imitation seawater. You could use real seawater if you are near the ocean, but there again, you would not know how much ferric iron was in the water unless you had someone measure it.

What I would tell you to do is call the Instant Ocean company and ask them if they sell a product that is identical to Instant Ocean except for lacking iron. I would guess that they do make custom formulations, but that it would be too expensive for your small experiment. In that case, you should ask them if they can give you an exact ferric iron concentration for a certain batch of Instant Ocean. At least, if you know the concentration of ferric iron that you are starting with you will be able to calculate the final concentration of all your algae culture solutions.

d. Also I see online ocean seawater, why can’t we use this rather than preparing our ocean sea water.
You could use natural ocean water, but the composition is not defined as is Instant Ocean. Researchers depend on companies to provide information on the composition of their products because this can have a big effect on results if something is in the solution that you did not know was there.

You had questions about when to order the algae culture from Wards relative to when you plan to use it. I have never worked with this alga so I cannot answer your question. The best thing to do is call Wards and ask them. They are the experts. When I grow cultures of cells, I keep them going by what is called sub-culturing—taking a small amount of the growing culture and adding it to fresh growth medium. This way, I can always have fresh cells growing. We also store cells in the freezer but you have to know how to freeze them properly so they don’t all die. Just call Wards and talk to technical service. They can give you the proper answer. Willey has given you some information on this that you can check, but if you are still not sure then talk to Ward’s tech service.

Willey’s description of the air pump, filter and manifold seems fine and a bit easier than the one described on the website. Its only purpose is to pump air through the cultures in the 2-L bottles, so the set-up does not have to be that elaborate or perfect.

Here is your procedure for preparing the ferric nitrate solution and I will go over it with you step by step:

1. I am planning to dissolve 25 grams of Ferric Nitrate in 1 L of distilled water.
Sorry. This is wrong—off by 1000. A 1 ppm solution is 1 mg (NOT g) per liter. So, you will need to have a scale that is able to weigh in mg. I hope your school’s science department has such a scale.

2. Planning to make the below diluted concentrations: 50 ppb, 150 ppb, 250 ppb, 350 ppb ( I might leave 350 ppb solution as per your suggestion since I need to do three trials for each concentration. So needed to add culture to three bottles for each concentration. Just remember that your sea water has a certain level of iron to begin with so you will need to add that into your calculation--if you can find out what it is. I would set up three bottles of culture in Instant Ocean with NO added iron as a control. That's why I said to make four bottles of culture initially rather than only three.

Below is the calculation and procedure:
1. Take 1 L of distilled water (you can abbreviate this as DW) in graduated cylinder
2. Pour this 1L of water into 1L beaker1
3. Using the laboratory scale, weigh 25 mg of FeNO3
25 mg/L = 25 ppm = 25,000 ppb
4. Put this into beaker 1 and stir using stirring rod until dissolved. Use sterile gloves for entire procedure (but remember, once the gloves touch a nonsterile surface they are no longer sterile).

Steps 1-4 gives us the original stock solution with a concentration of 25 ppm = 25,000 ppb.
From here on you need to make the dilutions into your algae culture in seawater, NOT, DW, otherwise you will not have the correct iron concentration for your algae growth. You are setting up three cultures of 250 ml each for a total of 750 ml for each iron concentration. The control is easy because you do not add any ferric nitrate to it--just use a graduated cylinder to transfer 250 ml into each of three bottles. For the rest of the iron concentrations you will need to pipet from your 25 ppm stock solution to make the final concentrations in the algae cultures.

Just remember that you are using 750 ml of culture, not 1 L, so don't add the same volumes that you had planned on before. For example, to get 50 ppb, you need to take 1.5 ml of your stock ferric nitrate and add it to to 750 ml of algae culture. Don't bother removing 1.5 ml of the culture to make an even 750 ml as this is unnecessary.

50 ppb = 1.5 ml/750 ml
150 ppb = 4.5 ml/750 ml
250 ppb = 7.5 ml/750 ml
350 ppb = 10.5 ml/750 ml

This was a lot of information, Lakshita, and I'm sure you will have many more questions for us. This is not an easy project and there are still details to be worked out so think carefully about it and keep writing out your procedures and posting them so we can check what you are planning. Don't be concerned about making errors. We all do it. That's why I always have someone read over my procedures before I finalize them.

Good luck!
Sybee
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi Mr.Sybee,

Thanks sooo much for your time answering my questions. Sorry for replying late. There were lot of confusions on the rules and I was not able to find a lab to do my project. Finally school agreed to provide me lab during early release days. But it was late. Seems like I need to submit the research work by October 15th with full project description except the data for pre-approval. Once it is approved then I need to proceed with the project for experiment. So I dropped the idea of doing this project this year :( . But again I will continue next year.

My mom helped me to find another project that doesn't require pre-approval. Also I am not going to honors division science fair this year. But I just wanted to proceed with regional science fair as I was successfully doing for the past few years.

I am thinking of doing the project to combat drought with biodegradable superabsorbent polymer made out of orange peels. I am still analyzing. I will post you my questions later this week.

Looking forward for your support and help so I can finish my project on time. It is already late this year.

Thanks,
Lakshita
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi Mr.Sybee/Willey,
I analyzed few things on the project. The new project tests a better water absorbing ability of biodegradable SAP made of orange peels compared to Acrylic, Starch, Pectin SAP as well as created orange peel pectin solution and orange peel powder.
Please help me on the below questions highlighted in blue:
1. Can you please let me know where I should order for Acrylic SAP (made from acrylic acid blended with sodium hydroxide), Starch SAP and Pectin SAP
2. In the experiment, it is mentioned orange peel mixture polymer is made out of orange peels and avocado skin which thermally cross-linked and utilizes photopolymerization.
- Can you please help me understand what “thermally cross-linked and utilizes photopolymerization” means?
3. For preparing orange peel variables the procedure is as follows:
- 3 oranges were peeled including as much of pith
- 15 ml of lemon juice was added and left for 1 hour
- 100 ml of water was added to peels and cooked for 45 mins
- The mixture is strained overnight. 60g of the solution serves as “Orange peel solution”
- The cooked orange peels were finely cut and added to finely cut avocado peels, both left in sun for 14 days
- 60 g of the sun dried peels were added to 80 ml of the strained liquid and placed in oven for20 mins at 180 degree C, the crushed peels formed “orange peel powder”
- 40 g the crushed powder added to 20 g plain sun dried avocado and orange peels to form “Orange peel mixture”
As per the hypothesis, “Orange peel mixture” has the greatest water absorbing abilities than any other SAP.
- Can you please let me know if the above procedure makes sense to you?
4. We are conducting water absorbing ability of various orange peel variables and other SAPs. 5g of each of them placed in glasses and 200 ml of water added.
The water absorbing ability of the powder is tested with formula:
(gs –gi)/gi
Where gs is weight of the swollen variable
gi – net weight of the variable before water was added.
- Please let me know how to take the weight of the SAP? Do I need to remove each sap and weigh? I am confused
- gi will always be 5 grams right?
- Also guess this has to be calculated on the percentage basis. Because I see the graph that the orange peel mixture absorbed the most water yielding the result of 76.1% compared to Acrylic SAP of 74.7%, orange peel powder 64% and orange peel solution 53%

Please help me understand these before I proceed further.

Thanks,
Lakshita
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

Hi Lakshita,

You have thought well about your project and come up with a lot of good questions, so here are all my answers. If anything is unclear, be sure to ask more questions. It is better to ask than to risk ruining the experiment.

1. Can you please let me know where I should order for Acrylic SAP (made from acrylic acid blended with sodium hydroxide), Starch SAP and Pectin SAP

Sodium polyacrylate is the SAP in diapers that absorbs the liquids. Here’s a really cool video showing this SAP in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxIJdjizQes
You don’t need to buy sodium polyacrylate (SPA). All you need is an absorbent diaper. Just make sure it contains sodium polyacrylate and not some other SAP. Cut it open and inside is the SPA: https://www.stevespanglerscience.com/la ... ing-water/
As far as I can tell from my Google search, SPA is not harmful to skin although breathing it would be a bad idea so wear a particle mask.

I looked for starch SAP but did not find any mention of using it without modification by some organic chemicals that you would probably not be able to get or use. You can do some more looking and maybe find a way to turn cornstarch into a SAP. I would recommend excluding this and the pectin SAP unless you can find a way to make them that you can do in your lab.

Pectin as a SAP was mentioned on many websites, but again it was mixed with other chemicals like acrylic acid, which can be very toxic. I think that you should just try the baby diaper sodium polyacrylate and compare it to the SPA made from orange peel. And, of course include a control with no SPA. Don’t try to test so many different SPA’s when you have limited time and resources.

2. In the experiment, it is mentioned orange peel mixture polymer is made out of orange peels and avocado skin which thermally cross-linked and utilizes photopolymerization.
- Can you please help me understand what “thermally cross-linked and utilizes photopolymerization” means?

I assume that your inspiration for this project came from the one done by Kiara Nirghin: https://www.lifegate.com/people/news/uk ... -emergency

I tried finding her procedure for making the SAP on the following website that is supposed to have it, but I could not find it. I did a google search:
Site: https://www.googlesciencefair.com/proje ... c00aa6041a kiara

but no hits were returned. So, I will just use your description of the procedure. If you have time, please send me the correct link for it.

In regards to your question about the terms, thermal cross-linking just means that heat was used to polymerize a mixture. I assume this was done by boiling the orange peel extract or heating it in the oven. Photopolymerization is a similar technique except that light is used to stimulate polymerization of the SAP. This would have been the step in which the orange peel-avocado skin mixture was left in the sun for 14 days. I would be sure to cover it to avoid insect or other creatures eating it, and watch out for rain.

3. For preparing orange peel SAP the following procedure was used [Please note that I edited your English for clarity and accuracy. In a scientific paper always use the past tense of verbs when you are describing your methods and results.]:

- Three oranges were peeled including as much pith as possible. [Source of the fruit?]
- 15 ml of lemon juice was added and left for one hour [Fresh-squeezed lemon juice or bottled?]
- 100 ml of water [Did you use distilled water?] was added to the peels and they were cooked ['Cooked' is a nonscientific term so don't use it. The proper way to say this is that the mixture was heated at a certain temperature, or boiled] for 45 mins
- The mixture was strained overnight [Through what? A sieve, a coffee filter?]. 60 g of the solution serves as 'orange peel solution'.
- The heated orange peels were finely cut and added to finely cut avocado peels, both left in sun for 14 days
- 60 g of the sun dried peels were added to 80 ml of the strained liquid and heated for 20 mins in an oven at 180 degree C. The crushed peels formed orange peel powder
- 40 g of the crushed powder was added to 20 g plain sun dried avocado and peels to form the orange peel mixture

As per the hypothesis, orange peel mixture has a greater water absorbing ability than sodium polyacrylate.

I don’t know the purpose of all the steps, but the resulting SAP works. Kiara did not explain how she arrived at the procedure so you have no clues as to the purpose of the various steps. You would have to carefully repeat the experiment and modify each step in turn to see how or whether it affected the water-holding properties of the orange peel SAP.

4. We are conducting water absorbing ability of various orange peel variables and other SAPs. 5 g of each of them placed in glasses [plastic cups] and 200 ml of water added. The water absorbing ability of the powder is tested with the formula:

(gs –gi)/gi

where gs is the weight of the swollen SAP and gi is the weight of the SAP before water was added.

- Please let me know how to take the weight of the SAP? Do I need to remove each sap and weigh? I am confused. gi will always be 5 grams right?

Yes, your starting weight before water addition is 5 g. I would suggest weighing several small plastic cups—write the weight on each one. Now put 5 g of the SAP into the cup. Be sure to do at least three (more would be better) water absorbance tests so that you can average the results and the average will be more accurate than just one reading. Next, you need to add water to the cup until the SAP cannot hold any more. This is going to be a little tricky because the orange peel SAP may not form as firm a gel as the sodium polyacrylate. For the results to be accurate, you must add only as much water as the SAP can hold. If there appears to be an excess, it must be pipetted off so that when you weigh the water-swollen SAP you are not making the water retention higher than it is.

- Also guess this has to be calculated on the percentage basis. Because I see the graph that the orange peel mixture absorbed the most water yielding the result of 76.1% compared to Acrylic SAP of 74.7%, orange peel powder 64% and orange peel solution 53%

Yes, that is correct. Use the formula you gave before to calculate the percent increase in weight of the SAP after addition. But be careful here, as I said before. This is the critical measurement, and if you add more water than the SAP can hold and do not remove it, then your result will be wrong.

I know you will have more questions, so read all this and think about the procedure and post back with your questions. Don’t be afraid to ask about anything that is unclear. Everyone makes mistakes, including ‘experts’ and you must catch them before you do the experiment.

Good luck!
Sybee
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi Mr.Sybee,
Thanks so much for your time. Your answers really helped.

Yes my mom found this project done by Kiara. She helped me with the below link on the project posted on google docs.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... slide=id.p

Please find below my further clarifications in blue:

As you suggested, I will use Sodium polyacrylate SAP from Diapers and drop off Starch and Pectin SAP. Thanks for giving me description of thermal cross-linking and Photopolymerization. Now I am clear of those terms.
My questions are:
1. Do you recommend me comparing Sodium polyacrylate SAP vs different Orange peel variables which are orange peel solution, orange peel mixture and orange peel powder?
Or just Sodium polyacrylate SAP vs orange peel mixture SAP?

2. In this project, Kiara performed three different type of experiments.
- Water absorbing ability
- Effect on soil moisture
- Effect on growth of an plant and the moisture of the plant’s soil
I guess performing third experiment is difficult during winter as it aims at plant growth. Please suggest if I need to perform these 3 different experiments?
Once you let me know on this, I will go over these experiments in details and post my questions.

3. Does science fair allow three experiments to be performed in a project? Why I am asking this is Independent variables will be different types of SAPS, but dependent variable will be different for each experiment. Please let me know your thoughts.

4. How will I mention control variable for Water absorbing ability experiment?

5. Regarding constants: I have some in my mind as - Amount of different types of SAPs tested (5 grams), Amount of water added (200 ml), Atmospheric environment when the experiment is performed, Amount of time (??)
Please let me know how to list out the constants if I am going to perform various experiments. Confused how this is allowed in the science fair.

6. Regarding the water absorbing ability experiment, I understood what you mentioned. Find below my clarifications on this.
- We have to take 5 grams in small cups and add 200 ml of water for each SAP. Is that correct. I am confused since you mentioned we have add water to add water to the cup until the SAP cannot hold any more.
- Actually amount of water and amount of SAP should be same in order to test water absorbing abilities of different SAPs right?
- So after what time should I measure the weight again? Will the absorbing happen in minutes or should I leave for hours? Time is constant
- Should I weigh along with left out water too? I am confused how to weigh.
Gs will be weight of (water+water absorbed SAP) – (weight of small cup) ? Please let me know how to weigh?

7. Regarding the procedural steps for preparing various orange peel variables:
Yes will make sure to use past tense always.
- Three oranges were peeled including as much pith as possible. [Source of the fruit?]
Source you mean the type of oranges I am going to use right? Do I need to take only orange peels and pith and discard the actual fruit right?
- 15 ml of lemon juice was added and left for one hour [Fresh-squeezed lemon juice or bottled?]
I am planning for bottled organic lemon juice. I will include the type of it in my procedure once selected. So all these would be part of constants right?
- 100 ml of water [Did you use distilled water?] was added to the peels and they were cooked ['Cooked' is a nonscientific term so don't use it. The proper way to say this is that the mixture was heated at a certain temperature, or boiled] for 45 mins
I am planning to use distilled water. And boiled until the water evaporates and peels are cooked. I will make sure to include the exact time after my procedure. Please correct me if I am wrong.
- The mixture was strained overnight [Through what? A sieve, a coffee filter?]. 60 g of the solution serves as 'orange peel solution'.
I am using sieve. This step gives me one variable 'orange peel solution'
- The heated orange peels were finely cut and added to finely cut avocado peels, both left in sun for 14 days
- 60 g of the sun dried peels were added to 80 ml of the strained liquid and heated for 20 mins in an oven at 180 degree C. The crushed peels formed orange peel powder
What material should I use to measure ml of liquid?
This step gives me second variable orange peel powder.
- 40 g of the crushed powder was added to 20 g plain sun dried avocado and peels to form the orange peel mixture

This step gives me third variable orange peel mixture.

Hope I will get deeper understanding after your answers. Thanks again for your valuable time.
Thanks,
Lakshita
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

Hi Lakshita,
I am glad to see you have a whole set of new questions for me about the SAP experiment. First off, though, I am trying to think of a new experiment for you to do using the orange peel mixture (OPM) SAP so that you are not copying the same thing that Kirin did. Verifying someone else’s experiment is ok and necessary in science, but a researcher always adds something different to the mix that provides additional data as well as confirms the existing data. One very important feature of research that seemed to be missing from Kirin’s experiment was the use of statistical tests of the data. A scientific paper would never be published without these tests as they are the only way that a researcher can prove with 95% confidence that a difference between two experimental results is real or just occurred by chance. For example, she measured the water retention of SPA as 74.7% and that of OP as 76.1%. These values are very similar, and just because the water retention of OP is 1.4% higher does NOT prove that it is a better SAP. I am betting that there is no difference between the two SAPs, but if you repeated the experiment many times you might be able to prove that OP was better—or, it might turn out that SPA was slightly better. You cannot know without doing the test.

The only way to prove that a difference is real and not due to chance is by statistical tests. In order to do these tests, you will need to do the water retention experiment at least 3 times and preferably 5 or more times. Afterwards you calculate the average of the water retention readings for both SPA and OP and then you perform a statistical test to determine what is called the standard deviation and standard error of the mean. Now, I suspect that you have not had lessons in statistics yet—is that true? So, you will have no idea what I am talking about, but believe me this IS important and the only way to prove a hypothesis. You can do some self-education by watching You Tube videos that explain about this aspect of statistics and I can help explain it to you so you understand. Then you will be ahead of your other classmates in being able to use something that modern science could not exist without.

1. Do you recommend me comparing Sodium polyacrylate SAP vs different Orange peel variables which are orange peel solution, orange peel mixture and orange peel powder?
Or just Sodium polyacrylate SAP vs orange peel mixture SAP?
I think that just comparing SPA with OPM is sufficient.

2. In this project, Kiara performed three different type of experiments.
- Water absorbing ability
- Effect on soil moisture
- Effect on growth of an plant and the moisture of the plant’s soil
I guess performing third experiment is difficult during winter as it aims at plant growth. Please suggest if I need to perform these 3 different experiments?
Once you let me know on this, I will go over these experiments in details and post my questions.
As you said, doing plant growth experiments in winter might be difficult. On the other hand, if you have a fairly warm room inside your house where you can set up an LED grow-light, then you can do the experiment. Improved growth of a plant is really the key experiment, so I would recommend setting up an indoor plant growth area. Growing plants inside over the winter is a very satisfying activity. I live in northern Maine where the winters are long and very cold and I have one room where I have three banks of LED lights set up above a long table with heating pads to keep the temperature constant. I am able to grow lettuce, spinach, cabbage, flowers, herbs and seedlings to transplant in the spring. So, give this some thought and see if you can set up a plant growth test for the SAPs.

3. Does science fair allow three experiments to be performed in a project? Why I am asking this is Independent variables will be different types of SAPS, but dependent variable will be different for each experiment. Please let me know your thoughts.
Oh, sure—you can always do more than one type experiment. Research scientists typically include six or more different experiments in a research project in order to provide additional data to prove or disprove their hypothesis. The statistical tests are applicable to any experiment as long as you can calculate a mean and standard deviation.
Here is where I think you could add something new to the project. Instead of testing just one concentration of SPA against OPM in the plant growth experiment, you could do three concentrations—say, low, medium and high [amounts to be decided later]. This is necessary, because a farmer wanting to use the OPM for a crop in the field will need to know how much of the product to apply. He will want to use enough to improve the water retention properties of his soil, but not use too much, which would be expensive and wasteful.

4. How will I mention control variable for Water absorbing ability experiment?
Your control will be no SAP added.

5. Regarding constants: I have some in my mind as - Amount of different types of SAPs tested (5 grams), Amount of water added (200 ml), Atmospheric environment when the experiment is performed, Amount of time (??)
Please let me know how to list out the constants if I am going to perform various experiments. Confused how this is allowed in the science fair.
The water retention experiment should be done at approximately the same temperature each time in case this variable might affect it. Use a digital thermometer with a probe to read the temperature. I don’t know how Kirin decided on using 5 g of SAP to 200 ml of distilled water. This is something you could vary in order to see what happens. You need to add enough water so that it exceeds the amount that the SAP can hold, and then pipet off the excess [Carolina Bio has cheap transfer pipets that you can use for this].

6. Regarding the water absorbing ability experiment, I understood what you mentioned. Find below my clarifications on this.
- We have to take 5 grams in small cups and add 200 ml of water for each SAP. Is that correct. I am confused since you mentioned we have add water to add water to the cup until the SAP cannot hold any more.
Yes, that is the only way to compare the two materials accurately. Also, you must use distilled water for the test, as the various minerals in tap water can alter the absorption. According to descriptions on the web, SPA can absorb as much as 800 times its weight in water:
https://www.cmu.edu/gelfand/education/k ... owder.html
Now, 200 ml of water weighs 200 grams, which is only 40 times the weight of the SPA powder used in Kirin’s experiment. You need to try this and keep adding measured amounts of water to 5 g of SPA until you are sure that it cannot hold any more. Then you need to do the same for the OPM. Try to have the water at the same temperature each time and be sure you measure the time that the SAPs are in contact with water. I don’t know how long it will take for maximum water retention. SPA seems to absorb water very quickly at first, but as it approaches saturation the time may increase.

- Actually amount of water and amount of SAP should be same in order to test water absorbing abilities of different SAPs right?
No. Sodium polyacrylate can absorb 100s of times its own weight of water. That’s why you need to add an excess of water to make sure the SPA and OPM are fully saturated—then pour off the excess.

- So after what time should I measure the weight again? Will the absorbing happen in minutes or should I leave for hours? Time is constant.
I don’t know. You will have to test this. Do some more reading about absorbent polymers online and try to find out more about the timing. As I said, I think the water absorption is rapid at the start but may slow down later. And the rate of absorption of SPA may be different from OPM. Doing experiments is not that simple. You must pay attention to all these variables such as time and temperature and water type.

- Should I weigh along with left out water too? I am confused how to weigh.
Gs will be weight of (water+water absorbed SAP) – (weight of small cup) ? Please let me know how to weigh?
The key measurement here is the volume of water that a certain weight of SAP can hold. You can express that simply as weight of water, or you can calculate it as a percentage of the weight of the SAP. Always weigh your cups first and write the weight on them with a sharpie. This is THE most important measurement and it is going to be the most difficult to do accurately. That is why I said for you to run the water retention experiment as many times as possible so that the average is as accurate as possible.

7. Regarding the procedural steps for preparing various orange peel variables:
Yes will make sure to use past tense always. Also be careful not to capitalize words that are not proper names as Kirin did multiple times in the slides. It makes them look unprofessional.

Source you mean the type of oranges I am going to use right? Yes. Different types of orange may have peels with different absorbent properties and organic might give different results from conventional. Also, describe the source of your avocado. Organic might be best.

Do I need to take only orange peels and pith and discard the actual fruit right?
Correct. Only peels and pith.

I am planning for bottled organic lemon juice. I will include the type of it in my procedure once selected. So all these would be part of constants right?
Yes. Always use the same test ingredients each time.

I am planning to use distilled water. And boiled until the water evaporates and peels are cooked. I will make sure to include the exact time after my procedure. Please correct me if I am wrong.
That is correct.

I am using sieve. This step gives me one variable 'orange peel solution'
OK. That will work.

What material should I use to measure ml of liquid?
First off, you do not measure with a ‘material’. You use a container, preferably a graduated cylinder from your lab that is marked off in milliliters. You can use an ordinary glass cup measure that is graduated in ounces and milliliters, but it is not accurate enough

This step gives me second variable orange peel powder.

This step gives me third variable orange peel mixture.

Good luck! Post again with your ideas about how to complete this project and your additional questions.

Sybee
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi Mr.Sybee,

Really thanks so much for your time without which I might be definitely missing out finer aspects of this project. I think I am getting a better understanding after reading your explanation for my questions.

Yes as you mentioned, my teacher always says we have to do at least 3 trials to prove our conclusion and I always have been taking 3 trials in my previous science fair projects till middle schools. I have not been introduced much on statistical tests so far but they gave some introduction of it back in 8th grade. But as you suggested I went online and learnt on these concepts. Please find below my understanding and please correct me if something is wrong.
- I am going to take 3 trials and take an average of it (Mean)
- Compute the standard deviation by hand or by formula. Hope we have to consider only sample size formula right? which is

- Then take standard error which is Standard deviation

- My question is: please confirm if the data table I put on the board should have Average, SD and SE?
- Do we need to show SD and SE on the graph? Usually in previous projects, I take Independent variable on X axis and dependent variable (average value) on the y axis. Please let me know how to show statistics on graph
- When I did research I came across other statistics too like
o calculating t-test, examining the p-value
o graphing using correlation coefficient (R)
o measuring the accuracy using percent error, Hypothesis tests
This year I am going to take my project only for Regional science fair, not for Honors division. Please let me know what else I should add in my statistics for regionals. I don’t know any of these concepts but if you can guide me I will try to gather more information on those.

Once I am clear on this I will move on to my other questions.

Thanks,
Lakshita
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

Hi Lakshita,

I'm glad you are making the effort to understand basic statistics. It will help you a lot in later classes.

- I am going to make three trials and take the average of them (mean) – Yes, the average and the mean are the same thing, but don’t capitalize the word ‘mean’. It is not a proper noun. The symbol for the mean that you will see most often is an x with a bar over it, x̅. The standard deviation, abbreviated SD, is calculated according to a formula, but there are many sites that will calculate the mean and SD for you. All you have to is input the data values.

- Compute the standard deviation by hand or by formula. Hope we have to consider only sample size formula right? which is
Here’s a good description of how to calculate SD manually and what all the symbols mean. Math is really cool once you get into it. It really is just like learning a language with rules and grammar.
https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standar ... mulas.html

Here’s the SD calculator. All you have to do is enter all the values for each run (separated by commas) and the program does the rest: https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standar ... lator.html

- Then take standard error which is Standard deviation
No. The formula for standard error of the mean (SEM) is different from the formula for SD:
SEM = SD/sq rt(n) where n is the number of values in one run that you averaged to get the mean
Here’s a calculator that will take all the sample values, calculate the mean, the SD and the SEM all in one:
https://goodcalculators.com/standard-error-calculator/

- My question is: please confirm if the data table I put on the board should have Average, SD and SE?
Yes, you can put all this into a table.

- Do we need to show SD and SE on the graph? Usually in previous projects, I take Independent variable on X axis and dependent variable (average value) on the y axis. Please let me know how to show statistics on graph
You can use either SD or SEM, but the latter is most commonly used when you want to show statistically that two means are different or not. You should plot the results as a bar chart with the ind variable on the x-axis and the dep variable on the y-axis. The top of the bar is the mean and the SEM is shown as vertical lines above and below the mean with small bars to indicate the error. Here’s an explanation of how to plot the data in Excel and add error bars. If you don’t know how to use Excel, you need to learn now because it is something you will use frequently in school, and the sooner you learn how the better.
https://www.dummies.com/software/micros ... ean-excel/

If you would rather watch videos of someone explaining how to plot means and add error bars using Excel, there are lots of those on youtube.

- When I did research I came across other statistics too like
o calculating t-test, examining the p value (note that the ‘p’ is italic and there is NO hyphen between p and value)
Student’s t test (named for the inventor whose nickname was ‘Student’) is definitely a stat test that you should learn about for testing differences. Also, calculating the p value allows you to say with confidence whether two means are different or not. There are calculators for the t test and p value also and I can help you with that. Using statistics on your data will make your conclusions much stronger and allow you to test your hypothesis.

o graphing using correlation coefficient (R)
o measuring the accuracy using percent error, Hypothesis tests
Just focus on the t test and p values for now as those are what most scientists use all the time.

Keep posting your questions and I will keep providing you with answers.

Sybee
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi Mr.Sybee,

Thanks for all your explanation. That really helped me. I will make sure to go over student's t-test and p value and post my clarification.
My mom wanted to order the materials needed for this project so we get them on time. So I started to think my first step of preparing orange peel mixture.

Please go over and let me know if I missed something. I want to prepare more quantity in order to run atleast 3 trials for 3 individual experiments. Please let me know if this is enough. Also as you suggested I am trying to think of including additional step of adding low, medium and high concentration of SAP for the experiments.

Preparing Orange peel mixture:
1. 9 organic oranges were peeled including as much as pith as possible ( I will include more oranges incase oranges are small)
2. 45 ml of organic lemon juice (measured using graduated cylinder) was added to the peels and left for 3 hours
3. 300 ml of distilled water (measured using graduated cylinder) added to the peels with lemon juice and boiled until the peels were cooked. (Time taken to get cooked to be noted)
/* I am ordering the below product from amazon for measuring
moveland 15-Piece Set Clear Plastic Graduated Cylinders and Beakers with 5 Transfer Pipettes and 1 Test Tube Brushes, Ideal for DIY and Science Lab */
4. The cooked mixture was then strained using sieve overnight and the liquid mixture collected in one beaker. Take 180 g of the orange peel strained solution in another beaker.
/* I am going to measure weight of the empty beaker on a food scale and pour the orange peel liquid into it using pipette until the orange peel strained solution weighs 180 grams */

5. 3 organic avocados were peeled and finely cut

6. The cooked orange peels were finely cut and added to finely cut avocado peels. Both the peels were left in the sun for 14 days (If more time is needed the number of days to be noted and changed accordingly).

7. 180 grams of the sun dried peels (measured using food scale) were added to 240 ml of the strained liquid and placed in conventional oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Celsius. The crushed peels forms orange peel powder

8. 120 grams of the crushed powder was added to 60 grams of plain sun dried avocado and orange peels to form orange peel mixture.

Thanks,
Lakshita
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

Hi Lakshita,

Here are my answers to your questions:

Preparing orange peel mixture

1. 9 organic oranges were peeled including as much as pith as possible ( I will include more oranges if oranges are small) – Be sure to weigh the peels and pith so you know how much you started with.

2. 45 ml of organic lemon juice (measured using graduated cylinder) was added to the peels and left for 3 hours – At what temperature? The temperature of a solution is one of the independent variables that may be important. It is good to make a habit of recording the temp just in case you do need it.

3. 300 ml of distilled water (measured using graduated cylinder) was added to the peels and lemon juice and boiled until the peels were cooked. (Time taken to get cooked to be noted) – “Time…to get cooked” is not a scientific term—just say that the peels and pith were simmered and give the time. You should start timing as soon as the liquid begins to simmer and continue until the peels have started to soften and record the time. I have no idea how long this should take.

moveland 15-Piece Set Clear Plastic Graduated Cylinders and Beakers with 5 Transfer Pipettes and 1 Test Tube Brushes, Ideal for DIY and Science Lab */ - That’s good. It’s all things that you can use again for another project later.

4. The cooked mixture was then strained using sieve overnight and the liquid mixture collected in one beaker. Take 180 g of the orange peel strained solution in another beaker.
/* I am going to measure weight of the empty beaker on a food scale and pour the orange peel liquid into it using pipette until the orange peel strained solution weighs 180 grams */ - You can measure a solution by weight, but it is usual to measure the volume in mL. In your case, you can weigh out 180 g and also measure the volume.

5. 3 organic avocados were peeled and finely cut - I assume that you meant to say “…the peels were finely cut.”

6. The cooked orange peels were finely cut and added to finely cut avocado peels. The mixture of peels was left in the sun for 14 days (If more time is needed the number of days to be noted and changed accordingly). - Be sure to protect the peels from insects or other hungry critters by covering the container with a fine screen that still lets the sun through. I would bring the peels in at night and if it looks like rain. Record the temp outside. If you live in a northern area it could be quite cold now. Drying the peels indoors in front of a sunny, south-facing window would be easier. Record the temp.

7. 180 grams of the sun dried peels (measured using food scale) were added to 240 ml of the strained liquid and placed in conventional oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Celsius - I assume you meant 350 degrees Fahrenheit because 350 deg C would be 660 deg F, which would incinerate the peels. When you say “…sun-dried peels…” here, do you mean orange + avocado peels or just orange?

The crushed peels forms orange peel powder - At this point I thought you had a mixture of orange AND avocado peels?

8. 120 grams of the crushed powder was added to 60 grams of plain sun dried avocado and orange peels to form orange peel mixture. - Now I’m confused. What is the powder? Dried, powdered orange peel?

OK. I think I answered everything. Please get back to me to clarify which powder you meant and if you have any more questions.

Sybee
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi Mr.Sybee,

Thanks so much for your explanation. I have mentioned my clarifications in blue below for each of the steps in preparing orange peel mixture based on your comments. Please let me know if this is ok.

Preparing orange peel mixture

1. 9 organic oranges were peeled including as much as pith as possible ( I will include more oranges if oranges are small) – Be sure to weigh the peels and pith so you know how much you started with.
Sure I will do. But I don’t think we record this information anywhere in the data table’s right? Hope this is just for my information and recording it in logbook.

2. 45 ml of organic lemon juice (measured using graduated cylinder) was added to the peels and left for 3 hours – At what temperature? The temperature of a solution is one of the independent variables that may be important. It is good to make a habit of recording the temp just in case you do need it.
Yes I will record the temperature. For recording temperature, I am planning to order: Hyper Tough™ Infrared Thermometer from Walmart. Please let me know if this fine. Also I don’t see using anywhere in this project, temperature as independent variable. Please correct me if I am wrong. Hope this is again just for my information and recording it in logbook.

3. 300 ml of distilled water (measured using graduated cylinder) was added to the peels and lemon juice and boiled until the peels were cooked. (Time taken to get cooked to be noted) – “Time…to get cooked” is not a scientific term—just say that the peels and pith were simmered and give the time. You should start timing as soon as the liquid begins to simmer and continue until the peels have started to soften and record the time. I have no idea how long this should take.
Sure I will do.

moveland 15-Piece Set Clear Plastic Graduated Cylinders and Beakers with 5 Transfer Pipettes and 1 Test Tube Brushes, Ideal for DIY and Science Lab */ - That’s good. It’s all things that you can use again for another project later.
Thanks.

/* I am going to measure weight of the empty beaker on a food scale and pour the orange peel liquid into it using pipette until the orange peel strained solution weighs 180 grams */ - You can measure a solution by weight, but it is usual to measure the volume in mL. In your case, you can weigh out 180 g and also measure the volume.
Ok I will measure the liquid in ml. The cooked mixture was then strained using sieve overnight and the liquid mixture collected in one beaker. Take 180 ml of the orange peel strained solution in another beaker.

5. 3 organic avocados were peeled and finely cut - I assume that you meant to say “…the peels were finely cut.”
Yes sorry I meant 3 organic avocado were peeled and the peels were finely cut

6. The cooked orange peels were finely cut and added to finely cut avocado peels. The mixture of peels was left in the sun for 14 days (If more time is needed the number of days to be noted and changed accordingly). - Be sure to protect the peels from insects or other hungry critters by covering the container with a fine screen that still lets the sun through. I would bring the peels in at night and if it looks like rain. Record the temp outside. If you live in a northern area it could be quite cold now. Drying the peels indoors in front of a sunny, south-facing window would be easier. Record the temp.
Yes I am planning to dry the peels indoors in a sunny area near the window. I am located in st.louis, MO. You mean recording the room temperature? I will do.

7. 180 grams of the sun dried peels (measured using food scale) were added to 240 ml of the strained liquid and placed in conventional oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Celsius - I assume you meant 350 degrees Fahrenheit because 350 deg C would be 660 deg F, which would incinerate the peels. When you say “…sun-dried peels…” here, do you mean orange + avocado peels or just orange?
Yes sorry I meant 350 deg F. Yes sun dried peels I meant orange + avocado peels dried in sun.

The crushed peels forms orange peel powder - At this point I thought you had a mixture of orange AND avocado peels?
Crushed peel powder – I meant combination of sun dried peels + strained liquid placed in conventional oven and dried.

8. 120 grams of the crushed powder was added to 60 grams of plain sun dried avocado and orange peels to form orange peel mixture. - Now I’m confused. What is the powder? Dried, powdered orange peel?
Crushed peel powder – I meant combination of sun dried peels + strained liquid placed in conventional oven and dried from step 7
Plain sun dried avocado and orange peel powder is from step 6
Step 7 + step 6 forms orange peel mixture

Please correct me if I am missed something.

Thanks,
Lakshita

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”