Some Questions ! URGENT !

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

sciencefairlover123

Some Questions ! URGENT !

Post by sciencefairlover123 »

:shock: Hey There !
Im doing a project regarding the reactions of certain non stick pan offgases from non-stick pans on human blood coagulation and coagulation rates. Im scared that when I perform my experiment I may receive no reaction at all and my project may not work ! Many websites that I have read for example Chemours say that there are no harmful effects of Polytetrafluoroethylene and other non stick pan coating offgases to humans but others sources say that it can cause many serious health problems. After observing the reactions I will try to bust clots(if created) by using medications such as heparin. Do you know anything regarding this topic that you can tell or any tips and tricks that can possibly help me. Also do you know of any catchy title idea that I can possibly use ?
Last edited by sciencefairlover123 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrJay
Former Expert

Re: Some Questions !

Post by DrJay »

First of all, heparin is not likely to bust a clot once it has formed. Rather, heparin prevents clot formation, so you might want to consider a different drug, such as streptokinase or urokinase. How do you plan to time clot formation? Are you planing on placing blood on a non-stick pan? If you are, there are a couple of things to consider:
What type of tube will you collect your blood in? Red-top tubes will allow clot formation in the tube, so you will have to work fast. Purple-top tubes prevent clot formation because they contain EDTA, which binds ca;cium required for clot formation, and will not allow a clot to form even after the blood is out of the tube.
Also, remember that a negative reaction is still a result.
I need a little more detail in order to really help here.
sciencefairlover123

Re: Some Questions ! URGENT !

Hey there.
First of all thanks for the advice regarding heparin. So how Im doing my project is first I will be putting non stick pans on a high temperature stove and then collect the toxic fumes that burn off. Then I will wait for those fumes to turn into a liquid. After I will insert those fumes into blood in a red cap tube and observe the reaction. Last but not least I will try to bust the clot !
Last edited by sciencefairlover123 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
sciencefairlover123

I also have a mentor who will be helping me with the reactions (he is specialized in coagulation). He is getting in touch with someone who know more about how to collect toxic fumes and then make them into a liquid
Last edited by sciencefairlover123 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrJay
Former Expert

Post by DrJay »

Remember that you will need to work fast, because as son as the blood hits the glass in the red top tube it will begin to coagulate. But again, how do you plan to measure coagulation rates?
What would be ideal, in my opinion, would be to put a little of the liquified gas into the red top tube beore you collect the blood. If you are careful, just don't use up all of the vacuum in the tube when you do so, so you can still use the tube to collect the blood.
Also, if you really wanted to be sure of what you are looking at, you really should have a way to verify that you have actually collected Polytetrafluoroethylene. In other words, you should have an assay for the chemical(s) you are hoping to use. Otherwise, a negative reaction will be impossible to evaluate; it could be due to no PTFE, or that the PTFE doesn't affect coagulation. The latter result is a result nonetheless.
sciencefairlover123

I will be taking some samples of blood out of the red tubes and then see if the blood with the offgases in it coagulates faster and more than the blood without the offgses because our blood clots normally
pharrast
Former Expert

Post by pharrast »

Just to emphasize Dr Jay's important point, you need to have a separate way to be sure that offgas has even been collected.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”