Spectrophotometer

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

binsuabraham

Spectrophotometer

Post by binsuabraham »

Hi...I need help using a spectrophotometer...im doing coagulation and flocculation for my science project...
But i don't know how to use the spec. I don't know what wavelength to use...and there's one button to choose whether to put it to %Transmittance or Absorbance...I dont know which one to put it to.

Please help asap
I need to be done by tomoro
Thank you soo much.
Louise
Former Expert

Re: Spectrophotometer

Post by Louise »

binsuabraham wrote:Hi...I need help using a spectrophotometer...im doing coagulation and flocculation for my science project...
But i don't know how to use the spec. I don't know what wavelength to use...and there's one button to choose whether to put it to %Transmittance or Absorbance...I dont know which one to put it to.

Please help asap
I need to be done by tomoro
Thank you soo much.
Could you please provide more information about your spectrophotometer- brand, model number, etc? Though, your best bet is to read the manual, I might be able to provide some help if it is one I've used before. Also, I have no idea what wavelength you would use. That should be a parameter you researched. Why are you doing this project with a spectrophotometer? If you are following a previously published method, this information (wavelength) should be provided.

%T or Abs are inverses of each other. It doesn't matter which one you choose, but if you are comparing with a paper, you should use the same one they do to save yourself some math.

Louise

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”