controlled, closed environment for plants

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

ravic
Project Question: How to reduce carbon emissions in the atmosphere
Project Due Date: May 30, 2009
Project Status: I am just starting

controlled, closed environment for plants

Post by ravic »

Hi,

I would like to know what the best container for growing plants in a controlled, closed environment would be. I would like to be able to supply CO2 to the plants as well as be able to monitor the levels of CO2 and Oxygen in the tank. I originally thought a fish tank would be ideal, howver, I am not sure how I would supply the CO2 to the plants inside a fish tank. I would like to try to keep the price down if possible. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
ravic
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: controlled, closed environment for plants

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Ravic,

A fish tank would be a good size container to grow plants and if you have these available, If you want to keep cost at a minimum, you will need to improvise and make a cover for the tank that has a least two holes, one for connecting to the CO2 source, and one for taking samples of air. A sheet of clear acrylic from a hardware or building supply store could be cut to fit onto the top of the fish tanks, and you could drill a hole in the acrylic that would fit a two-hole cork, or something similar.

http://www.vwrsp.com/catalog/product/in ... =59585-109

You would need glass or plastic tubing that would fit into the cork hole that could be attached to flexible tubing that could be sealed. Do you know someone with saws and tools who could help you with this part of the project?

What are you going to use to supply CO2 to the container? CO2 could be supplied by a CO2 tank of air, by sublimation of dry ice, or by adding acid to baking soda or chalk. You could fill a balloon with CO2, attach it to the tubing on your plant growth chambers, and push it into the sealed chamber.

What are you planning to do for your project? How are you going to measure CO2? Have you done lots of background reading on your topic to make sure you will be supplying everything else that your plants need to grow? Let us know if you need any more advice.

Donna Hardy

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”