How to find a lab to characterize my material in? (Urgent!)

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

anniezhi01

How to find a lab to characterize my material in? (Urgent!)

Post by anniezhi01 »

Hello!

My project is about synthesizing a photocatalytic material that's active under infrared, visible, and UV light. I've found a method to synthesize my material at home(Metal Organic Framework with embedded nanoparticles) using lab equipment from my high school, but since I was lacking some materials and guidance, I'm not sure if my methods were that accurate or "properly done". I would like to contact a college to ask for help in synthesizing and characterizing my material (which I realize I should've done earlier), but I'm not sure how to ask that. I've read the "How to Find a Mentor" page on Science Buddies, but it says to only mention that I'm interested in doing research in general rather than my actual project. I understand why it says to do that, since most college professors wouldn't want to and don't have the time to help a high school student with their project, but my fair comes up in February, so I'm pressed for time. Any guidance on this ASAP would be great! Thank you!

-Annie
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How to find a lab to characterize my material in? (Urgent!)

Post by norman40 »

Hi Annie,

Sounds like you have an interesting and ambitious project underway!

One immediate step might be to find out if any of the chemistry faculty at colleges near you are working on (or have worked on) photocatalytic materials similar to the one you're working with. You might try contacting college chemistry departments to ask about research interests.

Another thing to try might be finding out some specific characterizations typically conducted for the type of material you're working with. You could then inquire about these characterizations at local colleges. Or you might be able to find a testing lab that could run the characterizations for you.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”