joule mobile mass transporter

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ahmee
Former Expert

Post by ahmee »

Hi chickentown,

For the string, I just used regular string that my teacher gave me. And I attached the stick of wood in the middle by drilling a nail from the bottom of the car and up into the wood. You could also use superglue. =)
Amy =P
chickentown

Post by chickentown »

thank you ahhmee, this helps a lot :P And sorry for asking too many questions but just one little thing, what was your the car body 's dimension( I think about 15*25cm, is it good or it 's a little big ). :roll:
chickentown

Post by chickentown »

what I mean is the dimension of the piece of wood you used for the body car...
ahmee
Former Expert

Post by ahmee »

Hi chickentown,

I'm sorry. I don't know the exact dimensions of mine, but I'm going to say the dimensions were like a regular hardcover book.
Amy =P
chickentown

Post by chickentown »

hi ahhmee, the hardbook cover, is it a little too big cause I think the less heavy the faster the car would go, is it right. I've thinking I would use a 15-27 cm dimension, what do you think ??? Is it okay..
By the way thanks for your help 8)
chickentown

Post by chickentown »

Sorry to bother you , but for the axles... What did you use ? Some of my friends said that they could it be sleeve tube? How do you make it fit with the CDs holes ( buy the exactly size with the holes??? or use some other thing to make it tight.. ?? )This probably the last concern I have, thanks for your patient.. :roll:
ahmee
Former Expert

Post by ahmee »

Hi chickentown,

Yes, the car would go faster if it is less heavy. So basically, try to make your car as light as possible, but heavy enough so that it's steady; it won't topple when you put the 1 kg weight on it. I think your dimensions are ok.

For the axles, I'm not sure what I used because my dad helped me on this part. But, you can use a round stick that's about the same size as the hole in the CD and glue it together. And I think you can also use sleeve tubes that are maybe a bit smaller the size of the CD holes because you need to be able to fit the tube through the hole. If it's the exact size, then you wouldn't be able to put it through the hole.

Good luck! =)
Amy =P
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

As far as string goes, you want something that is strong enough and is in scale with the size of your vehicle and that will withstand any wear it will get during your experiments.

Since you are dealing with 1Kg (2.2 pounds), something like a 12 to 15 pound test fishing line might work.

A lumber yard might give you a short piece of twine they provide to customers to tie down materials they sell if you want something larger in diameter.

Part of experimenting is scrounging things that will work that are available at little or no cost.
-Craig
zzzzdoc
Former Expert

Post by zzzzdoc »

Things like plywood used from model shops would provide a strong, very lightweight car body. Very thin, very strong, and pretty aerodynamic.

You don't want the weight to destroy the car when it lands hard, so a little foam where the weight would hit could be helpful as well. I think a light, strong car would serve you well.
Alan Lichtenstein, MD
Anesthesiologist

Mens et manus
Veritas

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
chickentown

Post by chickentown »

ahhmee, thanks for your help, my car is looking pretty good now, but I am still unsure about the height of two stick of wood in the middle of the body car ( pulley stand )-- how high they need to be if the 1 kg mass has the height of 7cm ??? In addition to the 10 cm height drop and the string length to hold the mass, so do you think 25 cm height is appropriate for the two wood sticks???
Once more, thanks all for your helps :roll:
ahmee
Former Expert

Post by ahmee »

Hi chickentown,

The height of the stick of wood should be .100 meters - the height that you are going to drop the weight.
Amy =P
chickentown

Post by chickentown »

hi ahhmee, for the string of the pulley; we have to tie it to the axles right?
ahmee
Former Expert

Post by ahmee »

Hi chickentown,

Yes. You have to tie it or attach the string somehow to the axles in order for the car to move when you drop the weight.
Amy =P
chickentown

Post by chickentown »

hi ahhmee, I tested my car, it woudn't move , I don't know why?? Is that right that you put the axles under the body car right??? It 's not moving but when I lift the back up a little bit then the wheels start to move. But it is not moving when the wheels on the ground??? Would it because my axles are too low ??? cause under the body I put a piece of wood that have holes then stick the axles through the holes... ?? Is it right??? Oh my god the due day is tomorrow, I don't know what to do...
chickentown

Post by chickentown »

I think I figured out why, I think it because the axles are too low, because I did not the piece of wood with holes aside the body wood but under it.. But I don't think I have time to fix. Ok well, tomorrow only the predue day which it have to run 2 m in order to have 20 points, so i'll just take 10 points then fix it on the weekend.... Tomorrow I have a bigg Benchmark for Precal so I need to study :roll:

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”