HELP! Electrolysis Project of Water. Containment of Oxygen

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Krayspr

HELP! Electrolysis Project of Water. Containment of Oxygen

Post by Krayspr »

I know how to build a simple Electrolysis machine with a battery, two conductors of metal, water, some type of wire like copper, and a solvent like salt or baking soda to help the electricity travel through the water and separate the hydrogen from oxygen inside the water. I would like to know how I can build, or what materials I should use to fill the hydrogen and oxygen in separate containers, possibly a balloon or some type of container. I also would like to know how I can speed up the process without using sodium so I don't make chlorine gas. The test for this experiment is to make breathable oxygen that is 100% pure. I also do know that the human body cannot breathe in 100% oxygen over long periods of time. Oxygen toxicity and irreversible lung damage can happen after 16 hours at pressure of a 0.5 bar or more.

What materials do I need to make this for my project and can I get most of these things at a local hardware store like, Home Depot or Lowe's. Thank you for your support and reading my question. Please help I need this for my science project withing the upcoming weeks.
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: HELP! Electrolysis Project of Water. Containment of Oxygen

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi Krayspr,
Please take a look at the following URL. I think it's pretty close to your balloon idea as a container.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Separat ... hrough-El/

I am not sure about the exact details of speeding up the process but, typically, a higher battery voltage (say 24V instead of 12V by putting the battery in series) should lead to faster reaction. Please do take precaution with higher voltage as you could be facing multiple hazards with this experiment. (Also, please make sure the space is well ventilated)

Ok, enough of the PSA. Best of Luck with your experiment and please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Willey

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”