AC to AC converter

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

f914fb1117b343d9b5e7f0c538e21f96
Project Question: Power when there is no electricity
Project Due Date: 1 March 2019
Project Status: I am conducting my research

AC to AC converter

Post by f914fb1117b343d9b5e7f0c538e21f96 »

Hello, I am doing a project which is related to electromagnetic induction. I want to create an ac current using a coil and a magnet and then step up his current using a transformer so I get a higher voltage. However the speed of movement of the coil is not constant and so the ac voltage changes with time... is there a way to change changing ax voltage into a constant one, like how a buck boost converter changes a changing dc voltage into a constant one?
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: AC to AC converter

Post by norman40 »

Hello,

You might take a look at a voltage stabilizer. These are used to keep AC voltages within a certain range. Or you might want to modify your generator to make the coil speed more constant.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: AC to AC converter

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi,
In addition to the comment from the previous post from norman40, I would also suggest that you look at adding an energy storing step (such as a capacitor) prior to the step up transformer since the current you are generating is not constant using the movement of the coil.

Also, I am sorry to say that I do not understand what you mean with the Buck-Boost Converter. This is typically a DC-DC conversion device (to DC voltage level) but the process is typically done via power electronics (such as a switching power supplies that manipulates the waveform).

If you can let us know what output (i.e house power 120V, 60Hz? 24Vdc?) you are trying to get, it would really help us understand this better and provide better feedback.
Thanks!
Willey

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”