About polyacrylate, super absorbent polymer

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

keerthanapadma

About polyacrylate, super absorbent polymer

Post by keerthanapadma »

We all know that polyacrylate swells when it comes in contact with water. I have a doubt. what happens if we keep it at -80 degrees? also in a vacuum?
my second doubt is what would happen if we heat polyacrylate?
someone do clarify it.
DrSullivan
Former Expert

Re: About polyacrylate, super absorbent polymer

Post by DrSullivan »

This question would probably be better posed in the physical sciences forum.
NehaK6
Former Student Expert

Re: About polyacrylate, super absorbent polymer

Post by NehaK6 »

Hi keerthanapadma!

Since you haven't re-posted this in the physical sciences forum, I'll try to answer this question here. I don't know much about this topic but after doing a quick online search, I found that polyacrylate is often put in a vacuum to completely remove the water inside of it after it has been absorbed (source: https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-way-to ... absorbs-it). Additionally, cooling the polymer can cause it to dry out, however I wasn't able to find any information of what would happen at the temperature you mentioned. Note that I searched for what would happen to the polyacrylate at -80°C since the unit of measurement to be used wasn't specified (source: https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-make-fake-snow-605987).

Regarding heating polyacrylate, do you mean heating the substance itself before it has absorbed water, after it has absorbed water, or using warm/hot water to "activate" it? I found an older Ask an Expert forum that may be helpful in answering your question (viewtopic.php?t=15154).

I also encourage you to experiment and see if you can find out these answers on your own through a hands-on approach! Sodium polyacrylate can be purchased on its own or harvested from many common household products, including diapers and gardening crystals (used to keep soil moist).

Hope this helps!
Neha

Moderator note: I've cross-posted this in the Physical Science forum.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”