Seebeck Effect: Turn Heat into Electricity, Then Measure It with a Thermocouple Thermometer

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

hyadlapally

Seebeck Effect: Turn Heat into Electricity, Then Measure It with a Thermocouple Thermometer

Post by hyadlapally »

Hi I had a question on the project for Seebecks effect. It says that I am supposed to put the probe in the desired locations and temperatures and one of them is placing it in a 250 degree Fahrenheit oven. What is the exact procedure when measuring the electrical potential difference from the oven and is it safe?
Thanks
brandimiller610
Expert
Project Question: Ask an Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Seebeck Effect: Turn Heat into Electricity, Then Measure It with a Thermocouple Thermometer

Post by brandimiller610 »

Hi hyadlapally,

I hope you are having a good day.

In regards to the project about the Seebeck effect, it is important that only the probe of your thermo-coupling system is exposed to the high temperature of the oven -- exposing the multimeter or wire is not safe. The protocol at https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure is safe as long as the probe is the only part exposed to unknown temperatures and the rest of the system is maintained at room temperature.

I hope this answers your question. If any other questions arise or you need clarification, do feel free to follow-up on this forum. Good luck!

--Brandi
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Seebeck Effect: Turn Heat into Electricity, Then Measure It with a Thermocouple Thermometer

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. We noticed you posted multiple times in different forums for the same topic. Please keep all of your questions in the same thread (just a single thread) so the mentors can best help you based on what has already been discussed.

Good luck and thanks for using Science Buddies!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”