Where can I get artificial esters?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mythology

Where can I get artificial esters?

Post by mythology »

I am searching for artificial esters that I can use to test its affects on (drosophila) fruitflies?
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by staryl13 »

Hi!
I assume you're doing a project similar to the one found at this website:
http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/2006/Projects/S1912.pdf
since these are all chemicals, I would suggest you talk to your advisor at school and ask them if they can obtain some of these chemicals for you. Some of the acids can be very dangerous so they might be hard to find on your own. Good luck!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
mythology

Post by mythology »

Thanks!
My problem is that I need to obtain precise commercial esters. Or else, the project will have false outcomes. For example, using too much alcohol may kill the Drosophilia. Making them at school wouldn't be the best idea. Do you know anywhere else I could get these chemicals and have them be accurate?

staryl13 wrote:Hi!
I assume you're doing a project similar to the one found at this website:
http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/2006/Projects/S1912.pdf
since these are all chemicals, I would suggest you talk to your advisor at school and ask them if they can obtain some of these chemicals for you. Some of the acids can be very dangerous so they might be hard to find on your own. Good luck!
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by staryl13 »

Hi,
Making the chemicals is definitely not an option. Again, I think that you should still ask your school if they would be willing to buy the chemicals for your project. If not, I think they may sell some of these chemicals online but I would suggest you work with an adult when you start the project. Hope this helped!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
bradleyshanrock-solberg
Former Expert
Occupation: Software Engineer/QA Lead - Quality, Risk Assessment, Statistics, Problem Solving
Project Question: BS Caltech Engineering & Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science)
Research in Traffic and Ceramic Composites
25 years doing IT, various roles, for multinational manufacturing company
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by bradleyshanrock-solberg »

Generally unusual chemicals are purchased from manufacturers such as DuPont or TCI. These days some can be bought online but in general they don't sell to private individuals (they sell to laboratories, schools, etc), especially if the chemicals are dangerous.

In any event, "esters" is too broad. You will need to know the precise chemicals you want before you attempt to buy them. You may also find that they aren't for sale in small quantities, only in fairly large quantities and that could get expensive.

I would first go to your chemistry instructor at school and ask for help. Failing that, to your local university, explain what you need and they might be able to let you have what you require for minimal or small cost (ie, by pouring it from a big jug they already have, into a smaller container for you)

If these chemicals are dangerous (and sadly, most are either acidic, basic, solvents, mutagenic or carcinogenic) they won't sell to a minor. You'll need to team with an adult, and take appropriate safety precautions.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”