Hovercrafts

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ericw740
Project Question: Does the amount of outlet holes effect hovercraft stability?
Project Due Date: 2/26
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Hovercrafts

Post by ericw740 »

I need some help... i am trying to find a hovercraft design i could use to build a hovercraft. If anyone has any ideas please post...i already know about the ballon one but i am looking for one that is more stable. :?: [/u][/b]
Eric.W
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by staryl13 »

Hi eric,
This website might give you some food for thought on some designs...
http://4wings.com.phtemp.com/des/des.html
good luck with your project!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
ericw740

Post by ericw740 »

I need something too help me build a hovercraft...i have already done enogh research
:D :) :( :o :lol: 8) :? :shock: :x :P :oops: :cry: :wink: :twisted: :evil: :arrow: :idea: :?: :!: :| :mrgreen:
Eric.W
bradleyshanrock-solberg
Former Expert
Occupation: Software Engineer/QA Lead - Quality, Risk Assessment, Statistics, Problem Solving
Project Question: BS Caltech Engineering & Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science)
Research in Traffic and Ceramic Composites
25 years doing IT, various roles, for multinational manufacturing company
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by bradleyshanrock-solberg »

It's difficult to get enough thrust to do a hovercraft without using something like a balloon.

Hovercrafts work like this

1. Something generates thrust aimed downward. On a real hovercraft this is generally a propeller of some kind, using a powerful engine to drive it. I think most of the hovercraft that can lift people use gasoline motors.

2. Something to contain the air so it stays in a bubble underneath the craft instead of just blowing uselessly in all directions. This is a "skirt", often a simple as a strip of metal going all the way around the vehicle.

A baloon would work for a light craft, you could control it by making sure the nozzle where the air comes out was pointed straight down (or perhaps aimed in a precise direction). You still need to make sure that the air is contained though, or you've really simulated a rocket, not a hovercraft.

Something like a hairdryer or a hand-vacuum cleaner (set to blow air rather than suck it in) might work for a larger craft. It would certainly last longer and have a more reliable thrust than a baloon, but it would also be limited by the power source (cable to wall or battery) and you'd want to be careful with heat.

If as you say you've done research, then you likely have a better idea than I do exactly how these components fit together. Build a sturdy but light frame and skirt, attach your "wind" source and then figure out how you will control it (perhaps by "aiming" the "wind" source, or with a rudder-type attachment underneath or something similar).

I know hovercraft kits are sold online for ~$50 that are advertised to lift a person. I have no idea how reliable such claims are, but it seems plausible that you could make a small hovercraft with a hair-dryer or similar small appliance that blows air instead of a balloon.
ericw740

Post by ericw740 »

Do you have a specif idea on how to make an hovercraft because i am really stuck. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS PLEASE POST!!!!!! :oops: :wink: :idea: :arrow: :?: :!: :evil: :twisted: :P :x :shock: :? 8) :lol: :o :( :) :D :| :mrgreen:
Eric.W
scotta740

Post by scotta740 »

try this site out:http://www.aircommander.com/craft_models.htm
(not sure if it's good)
Scott A.
tylers740

Post by tylers740 »

Does it need to support a person?
Tyler S. :P
ericw740

Post by ericw740 »

that would be good but no. i would not mind though i actualy prefer that
Eric.W
tylers740

Post by tylers740 »

http://shopping.discovery.com/product-6 ... 625E1F3610
is a toy that might be easy to modify.
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

ericw740 wrote:Do you have a specif idea on how to make an hovercraft because i am really stuck. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS PLEASE POST!!!!!! :oops: :wink: :idea: :arrow: :?: :!: :evil: :twisted: :P :x :shock: :? 8) :lol: :o :( :) :D :| :mrgreen:
The link the first expert gave you contains designs for hovercrafts. While some cost money, there were free plans and they were quite detailed. I suggest you review that site carefully.

You can also use your favorite search engine to look for hovercraft plans. There are detailed instructions and parts lists if you look.

Louise
tylers740

Post by tylers740 »

mythbusters made a hovercraft out of a surfboard. Google mythbusters hovercraft.
bluefox609
Project Question: hover crafts
Project Due Date: no due date
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Hovercrafts

Post by bluefox609 »

Hi eric,
I would suggest that you try using a light platform like wood or plastic and take a thick sheet of plastic and conect it to your platform.
ericw740

Post by ericw740 »

alright this year i am doing hovercraft"s again and this year my question is:what is the effect and placement of outlet holes on a hovercraft's speed and stability? so i need a simple cheap idea that there is a lot of small hovercraft's or A large hovercraft where the skirt is removable if you find any thing that would help me please post>.
Eric.W
esparzal
Project Question: How does a hovercraft work?
Project Due Date: 2/3/14
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Post by esparzal »

I need help please! I just followed the project on this website to make the hovercraft with the CD, valve or pop-top lid & a balloon. I had to use super glue since other glues didn't work. I have it constructed exactly like the site but it doesn't over. I made two one with a pop top lid & another with the valve. The air lets out but it does not hover or move around even when I push it. Please help!
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by rmarz »

esparzal - I haven't done this experiment but one thing to check is that the bottom surface of the CD is perfectly flat, and that nothing sticks down from the valve. All parts of the valve should be on the top surface of the CD. If there is anything that protrudes it will destroy the 'air cushion effect' of the escaping air. If that part has been checked, try reducing the rate that the air escapes using the valve, or slightly closing the slide valve on the 'pop-up' valve.

Rick Marz

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”