Microbiology Labs/ Supplies

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
duydao

Microbiology Labs/ Supplies

Post by duydao »

Hey, I'm going to do an experiment to test if something can cure some diseases caused by bacteria. Where can I get my supplies: petri dishes, agar powder, streptococcus pyogenes, e. coli, and salmonella. I think I'd have to do this in a lab. Do you know where I could go to do the project?

Thanks.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Microbiology Lab

Post by tdaly »

duydao,

If you are in high school, just ask your science teacher . Most high school labs have petri dishes and agar. Depending on how dangerous the bacteria you are studying are, you should be able to order them from a science catalog such as Flynn Scientific, Wards Natural Science, or Carolina Biological Supply. Your science teacher will most likely have some of these catalogues, If not, check with science teachers at other schools.

NOTE: I would reccomend that you only study one type of bacteria, as you will need ten or twenty cultures for each bacteria species. Also make sure that you know the proper technique for doing a bacteria transfer. Ifyou have questions on how to do this, just ask! Also, I hope that you are trying to find something to kill the bacteria other than antibiotics, because doctors already know that anitbiotics kill bacteria. It might be interesting, however, to look at how different herbal remedies affect the bacteria.

Good Luck!
All the best,
Terik
duydao

Post by duydao »

Thanks Terik!

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”