I have some questions for a biochemistry major

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
sakexornot

I have some questions for a biochemistry major

Post by sakexornot »

Hello, our names are Mikaela and Sammie.
We have some questions for a graduate to answer about our science fair project.

Our questions are,

1.Why does what you see effect so much what you smell?
2.Why do people always think a smell has to have a corresponding color?
3.Why does the brain get so confused about what the smell is just because the color is one thing?
4.How and in what way does a project that tests people about whether what they are seeing is making them decide that it is the flavor that corresponds to the color they are seeing, apply to society?
5.If we were to blind fold our subjects, do you think that the results of the scent test would come out any differently?

Thank you for your time.
If you have any answers please contact us immediately.
-Sammie and Mikaela
sakexornot

Re: I have some questions for a biochemistry major

Post by sakexornot »

sakexornot wrote:Hello, our names are Mikaela and Sammie.
We have some questions for a graduate to answer about our science fair project.

Our questions are,

1.Why does what you see effect so much what you smell?
2.Why do people always think a smell has to have a corresponding color?
3.Why does the brain get so confused about what the smell is just because the color is one thing?
4.How and in what way does a project that tests people about whether what they are seeing is making them decide that it is the flavor that corresponds to the color they are seeing, apply to society?
5.If we were to blind fold our subjects, do you think that the results of the scent test would come out any differently?

Thank you for your time.
If you have any answers please contact us immediately.
-Sammie and Mikaela
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by HeatherL »

Hi Mikaela and Sammie,

Since you are finished with your experiment and analyzing your data, I assume that you have found that what your subjects saw affected what they smelled. It would help if you told me exactly how you conducted your experiment. What did you show your subjects, what did you ask them to smell, and what did you ask them to tell you about their experiences?

That said, I will give you some preliminary answers to your questions:

1. What you see affects what you smell because the brain integrates the senses. Although we have different regions of the brain that perform particular functions most often, all of the brain cells are neurons, and all of them can interpret the electrical signals that come from sensory organs. For a simple web site about the brain, look here: http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/exhibit ... in/140.asp
For more detail, try this site: http://www.sirinet.net/~jgjohnso/brain.html
I also recommend Wikipedia.

2. This answer is similar to what I just said above.

3. Same as above.

4. Really, this question is for you to answer. Maybe food advertising?

5. Yes, I think you would get different results with blindfolded people compared to non-blindfolded people! Again, it would help if I knew what you did with your subjects. But the better question is, do YOU think your results would have been different if you had blindfolded your subjects?

If you give me more information, perhaps I could be of more help. Feel free to post back if what I have said does not make sense or you need more information.

Cheers,
Heather
sakexornot

Heather!

Post by sakexornot »

heather,
could we have your last name, first name and where you work and or your organization?
thanks a bundle.

mikaela and sammie
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by HeatherL »

Mikaela and Sammie,

My name is Heather Mostman-Liwanag. I am a Ph.D. candidate at the University of California at Santa Cruz.

I'd still like to know more about your project!

Cheers,
Heather

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”