A few questions on my goldfish project.

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
DinoKay

A few questions on my goldfish project.

Post by DinoKay »

Hi! Okay heres my qustions:
Whats the average lifespan of a small goldfish?
Whats the highest & pH they can live in?
Would I probably be able to get Acid and Base Drops at a teacher store?

Thank you!
How does pH effect the lifespan of a Goldfish?
Louise
Former Expert

Re: A few questions on my goldfish project.

Post by Louise »

DinoKay wrote:Hi! Okay heres my qustions:
Whats the average lifespan of a small goldfish?
Whats the highest & pH they can live in?
Would I probably be able to get Acid and Base Drops at a teacher store?

Thank you!
Animal testing is generally not allowed for science fairs. If it is allowed, there is usually a lot of paperwork. If you like animals enough to want to study them, do you really want to potentialy hurt or kill them by putting them in acid or base?

Generally, in science, animal testing is not done unless it will produce new and important scientific data. It it unlikely that you would be doing this type of research at the level of the science fair. There is lots of experimental data on how acids and bases hurt animals.

What is your hypothesis? If you are interested in acids and bases, there are lots of interesting projects you can do with just chemicals, or maybe chemicals and plants. As someone who works with both acids and bases, and who has had a chemical base burn (it REALLY HURTS), I suggest that you plan your experiment very carefully, and post back here with the details for safety advice.

Louise
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by HeatherL »

Hi DinoKay,

I agree with Louise's comments about testing things like acids and bases on animals. That said, you could look into something like activity levels of goldfish across a pH range that is okay for them. One place you could start is by going to a pet store or other place that sells fish and aquariums. There you should be able to find information about how to care for fish, including the pH range that is best for them. You could also purchase pH tester kits at aquarium stores.

If you are not interested in looking at pH effects within a narrower range, you could look at the effects of something like oxygen bubbles and water circulation on goldfish.

If you are willing to do a different project besides something with goldfish, check out the Science Buddies project ideas on Animal Anatomy & Physiology: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home

Good luck!

Heather

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”