A query on Bioinformatics project and need your help....

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
shilpa_2405

A query on Bioinformatics project and need your help....

Post by shilpa_2405 »

Sir/ Mam,
I need a help from you Sir. I actually want to find out a new protein sequence and check out the similar regions which might be present in other species, and thereby assign the functional properties of that particular protein. Our faculty has said that we need to give any random sequence. But, which tool do we actually use is what lam not able to get. So, can you please help me Sir/ Mam, for which I would be really thankful to you.
Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Thanking you,
SHILPA.
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Shilpa,

I'm not quite sure exactly what you're asking, but check out the BLAST website, here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Education/B ... tion3.html. It has tutorials and things, and you can submit protein sequences from one organism and look for similar regions in other genomes. Is that what you need?
hhemken
Former Expert

beginning bioinformatics programming

Post by hhemken »

Shilpa,

I suspect you are going to need to run some scripts to analyze your data. Search for the following in the Google search bar:

(perl OR python OR java) bioinformatics

Good luck!
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Science Buddies Expert Forum

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”