Botany

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
Satmary

Botany

Post by Satmary »

The project idea that I have is to inject a growth hormone into a seed to promote faster growth.

I have a question about my topic. Is it possible to directly inject a growth hormone or growth stimulant into a seed?

I do not want to start an experiment that will not work so I do not want to kill all of the seeds. So is it possible to continue this experiment without many negative effects (ex. any damage to the growth of the seed by the process of forcing the needle into it).

Thank you.
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

What seeds are we talking about? Is there a reason you want to inject hormones inside the seed? Most plant hormones work just fine if put on the outside of plants/seeds, and that procedure doesn't require the use of a needle. If you do use needles, you will need to be supervised by a teacher (you'll probably need a teacher's help to get the growth hormone in the first place).

Depending on the concentration of the hormone, you can make a plant grow fast enough that it will not take in enough nutrients and it will die. What question are you trying to ask? What grade are you in?
Satmary

Post by Satmary »

Quite honestly I was looking for an interesting project to do in the realm of botany that involved growing seeds. I am a Junior and would like to know if it is possible to do without killing the seed (with the proper concetration given). I undersatnd that my teacher would be needed to get certain materials and she already told us she could. I am not sure about what kind of plant or tree seed to use but my main question would be if the seeds with a growth hormone or growth stimulant injected into them grew better than the ones without. I would probably do different concentrations.

The reason I am not doing a fertilizer project is because a few other students are doing them and also my teacher doesn't exactly like them because they are very "used" as a project idea.

Thank you.

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”