Need a Math research topic for Renegeron STS

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

ScienceILoveYou

Need a Math research topic for Renegeron STS

Post by ScienceILoveYou »

Hello. I need a ingenious Math research topic for Renegeron STS. I searched the project wizard but found nothing that was something really special. Once there was a research topic called Fermat' Equation In Matrices (Link:http://www.math.bas.bg/serdica/1995/1995-019-040.pdf) which was so advanced and special that it came 4th. Can somebody recommend me a similar research topic?
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Need a Math research topic for Renegeron STS

Post by MadelineB »

Hello ScienceIloveYou and welcome to Science Buddies,
Looking at the publicity surrounding the news that Regeneron will be sponsoring the STS suggests to me that you might want to go beyond a math project and find one which also solves an interesting and challenging biological problem!

I searched the Science Buddies "project ideas" using just "math" in my search. Then I skimmed through the 98 projects listed. You might want to look at those projects which are listed as "advanced" and find a few which you think are interesting to you. Then look at the background to see if the problem can be extended to solve a challenging biological problem. For example, the project on population growth might be extended to consider the models scientists use to predict the waxing and waning of epidemics such as Ebola. Adding the biological challenge would surely add the "pizazz" you are hoping for!

Pick a few and perhaps some of the experts here at Science Buddies can help you extend the project.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”