HELP! NEED HELP WITH Spin Right Round Science Fair Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

KARMABABEE
Project Question: SPIN RIGHT ROUND PROJECT: With this experiement what do you do with the back and red wires that are on the battery holder? Should they be connected to something like the axel support? Also, does the magnet lay right on top of the battery or can we lay the battery holder with the battery inside of it on its side and glue the battery to the side of the battery holder?
Project Due Date: Last week of April
Project Status: I am just starting

HELP! NEED HELP WITH Spin Right Round Science Fair Project

Post by KARMABABEE »

Hello,

My 9 year old is doing the project Spin Right Round. He is just starting but has a few questions. First, he wants to know if the red and blue wires that came attached to the battery holders need to be attached to anything like the axel support? If not, what does he do with them? Also, he would like to know if he could place the battery holder on its side, with the battery in it, and then glue the magnet to the top plastic side of the battery holder instead of having the magnet lay on top of the battery. Finally, he wants to know if he can hot glue plastic beads to the knot or next to the knot he makes on the coiled loops of wire. He saw this in another help video while he was doing his research. Thanks so much for your help! :D
kgudger
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: HELP! NEED HELP WITH Spin Right Round Science Fair Proje

Post by kgudger »

Hello and welcome to the forums!

The battery terminals need to be attached to the axle supports. Remember that it's important that the coil wire ends be stripped of insulation on one side only. The circuit is from one battery terminal, through the axle support, 1/2 the time through the coil and back through the other axle support to the other battery terminal.

I would think you can put the magnet anywhere you want, as long as it's beneath the coil (and the coil is close to it, but not touching it.)

It sounds like the beads in the video are performing the same function as the knot in this experiment, just keeping the wires together. Be careful with hot glue on the coil wires. You don't want the heat to melt the wire insulation. I would stick with the knot only.

Keith

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”