Variables

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

leila101
Project Question: which has more effect on the freezing point of water? salt or sugar.
Project Due Date: november 30, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Variables

Post by leila101 »

My topic is "Which has more effect on the freezing points of water?salt or sugar?". i need help finding out the control, independent and dependent variables. need help quickly.
jmehta14
Former Expert
Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
Project Due Date: March 1st
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Variables

Post by jmehta14 »

Hi Leila,
For your experiment I think the dependent variable is the freezing point of water, and the independent variable is the sugar and salt and your control will be water as water stays the same for both your variables that you are testing.
I hope this helps.
Good luck,
Jay
leila101
Project Question: which has more effect on the freezing point of water? salt or sugar.
Project Due Date: november 30, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Post by leila101 »

Thanx for the help. Do u know what the constant would be for my experiment?
vysarge
Former Expert
Project Question: Student volunteer.
Project Due Date: N/a: see above.
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by vysarge »

Hello Leila,

Constants are things that you keep the same throughout your trials. So, you wouldn't be changing factors such as the type of water that you add sugar or salt to, or environmental factors like the air pressure or type of cup used- these are your constants.

Hope this helped!
-Vysarge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so that each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry.
-Richard Feynman

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”