Need to find data on previous experiments

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Shirley

Need to find data on previous experiments

Post by Shirley »

Hi,

I am in the 9th Grade and am doing a Science Fair project for the first time. I have chosen Color and Depth Perception. THe subject has been approved by my teacher but she wants to have a record of a scientist experiment having been done first.

I plan on having three boxes (wardrobe size, all same size) Painting the inside of each, white, red and black. Putting a light into each one from the top and hiding the size of the boxes from view. I will have subjects look into the boxes and choosing which one looks the deepest.

I know that research has been done on it but can't seem to find it again to prove to my teacher that it has been done before. ( the other experiment was conducted in rooms). I had found an article and tried to e-mail it to myself but parental control on my e-mail refused it and I never got and I forgot to see where I had found it and now I can't seem to retrieve it.

Thank you for your help. Shirley
hostsha
Former Expert

Post by hostsha »

Hi Shirley,

Look into following reference article for your project. Seem to be interesting visual puzzle project to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception
HostSha
Ask an Expert
Jim Lewandowski

Post by Jim Lewandowski »

Hi there,
The abundance of bright LED's, such as the keychain flashlights could be used in this experiment. There are multiple color's available and most are very bright. In this case you could mount several different color led sources in one box and activate them for each task.

Have a person estimate the distance an object is from the wall with different colors shining on them or something of this.

Here is one paper in the area of your topic, from a simple google search, "color and depth perception"
http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/research/pub ... nformation
Artshark

Post by Artshark »

Jim Lewandowski wrote:Hi there,
The abundance of bright LED's, such as the keychain flashlights could be used in this experiment. There are multiple color's available and most are very bright. In this case you could mount several different color led sources in one box and activate them for each task.

Have a person estimate the distance an object is from the wall with different colors shining on them or something of this.

Here is one paper in the area of your topic, from a simple google search, "color and depth perception"
http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/research/pub ... nformation
Good find! A quick googling will find anything. I'd just like to append some of your advice; instead of having them estimate, I'd give them 3 or 4 options (I don't know how far these should be apart, depends on mean box size) and ask them to choose. I say this because I myself have relatively poor depth perception, but am better able to estimate if given choices of the object I am to estimate. Good luck!!

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”