Manipulated variable

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

erikws

Manipulated variable

Post by erikws »

I am doing a fair project asking the question. Is there different amounts of salinity in the bodies of water around Tampa Bay. I have three sample groups. Tampa Bay, the intracoastal and the Gulf of Mexico. When I listed my manipulated variable as the different bodies of water the teacher says I need more. Not sure what else to put. Everything else is the same. I am in 5th grade
On the display board, what goes in the area marked "Recommended"?
I can't find anywhere what that information should be.
I appreciate any help!!!!
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Well, I can't speak for your teacher, but I'll give my opinion.

I'm assuming that the manipulated variable is the variable you are changing. (sometimes this variable is called the independent variable.) Since you are measuring how salinity varies in different locations, I would say your manipulated variable is the geographic location of the body of water.
All the best,
Terik
zzzzdoc
Former Expert

Post by zzzzdoc »

Does she mean more samples of the same manipulated variable?

In other words, should you run down to the Cross Bayou and get a sample, Fort DeSoto Park, Safety Harbor, and Ben T Davis Beach? Or get samples from the Gandy Bridge, Weedon Island, and the Courtney Campbell Causeway??? Or from the fishing pier at the old Sunshine Skyway bridge???
Alan Lichtenstein, MD
Anesthesiologist

Mens et manus
Veritas

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”