Carbination

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Lajuana

Carbination

Post by Lajuana »

Can carbination from pepsi blow up a balloon? If so how?
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

Hi,
I have a few questions: Is this for a classroom project or science fair project? By "how" do you mean what are the physical & chemical processes involved, or how can a device be engineered to make this happen? What is the intended grade level for the project?
Lajuana

Post by Lajuana »

Hi,
This is for a 3rd grade science fair project. We know it works, because we tried it. We just didn't know how to really explain it. Thanks for any information you can give!
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

Lajuana wrote:Hi,
This is for a 3rd grade science fair project. We know it works, because we tried it. We just didn't know how to really explain it. Thanks for any information you can give!
Why don't you try searching for "carbonation". You could look at wikipedia. They discuss carbonation in general (of many things/drinks not just soda.) Once you know what this is, I think you will understand how it can blow up a balloon. What are the bubbles in soda? What produces the "fizz"?

Louise
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re carbonation

Post by davidkallman »

An alternative is supply "carbonation" to answers.com. Using answers, you get the wikipedia page, the concise Encyclopedia Britannica and other resources.

The search output has the baffling "Or did you mean: carbonation?" This had me at wits end, until I understood what it meant. There must be two meanings of "carbonation." In any case clicking on the link is OK.
Cheers!

Dave

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”