Science Fair Winning Signs

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Chili

Science Fair Winning Signs

Post by Chili »

Hi!
What (if any) are the signs/patterns that a child has placed in a regional science fair (before the results are revealed)? Is it if the judges come up to you in the beginning or are with you more at the end of the presentation period? Also, do more feedback forms mean more interest from the judges? Do all the judges provide a feedback form for every participant in the division they have judged? Do more judges asking for your presentation also mean more interest? Is all feedback usually positive, even if you are not going to place. In other words, do they do the "If you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all?" Thanks very much in advance for any info about science fair winning signs. Like most parents, I already feel that my child is a winner just for going out there and doing his best. The entire science fair environment looked intimidating to me, but I'm not telling him that. It appears to be a great experience, though.
Louise
Former Expert

Re: Science Fair Winning Signs

Post by Louise »

Chili wrote:Hi!
What (if any) are the signs/patterns that a child has placed in a regional science fair (before the results are revealed)? Is it if the judges come up to you in the beginning or are with you more at the end of the presentation period? Also, do more feedback forms mean more interest from the judges? Do all the judges provide a feedback form for every participant in the division they have judged? Do more judges asking for your presentation also mean more interest? Is all feedback usually positive, even if you are not going to place. In other words, do they do the "If you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all?" Thanks very much in advance for any info about science fair winning signs. Like most parents, I already feel that my child is a winner just for going out there and doing his best. The entire science fair environment looked intimidating to me, but I'm not telling him that. It appears to be a great experience, though.
I don't mean to be overly blunt, but what difference does it make? The fair is over. You think your child is a winner and he apparently had a great experience. The results will be announced shortly. If we give you a list of "winning signs" and your child's experience conformed to it, then what? You still have to wait for the judges' results... and if he loses despite "winning signs" then you just have dashed hopes.

I don't think there are winning signs. For example, a lot of time spent with a child could mean:
(a) the judge doesn't have many projects in his/her category and has a lot of time.
(b) the judge finds the project interesting for personal reasons.
(c) the judge finds the project is scientifically excellent.
(d) the judge understands the project and thinks they can give useful feedback.

For any of the things you list above, there are many reasons that could lead to a particular response.

Louise
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

In my 12 years of science fair experience, as a participant, a mentor, a judge, and an administrator, I have never noticed or been notified of ANY patterns that set winning students apart from the others. Really, there is no way to know until the awards are announced.
All the best,
Terik
Chili

Thanks

Post by Chili »

Thanks for enlightening me to the fact that there are no ways/clues to know how a child has done in the fair. When an ill parent has a child who with a very good chances of participating in the State Fair ( traveling 400 miles in May), it is very necessary/critical to plan ahead. Therefore Louise, in answer to your question>"What difference does it make?" Louise, I can tell you this: it makes a huge difference." :cry:
Louise
Former Expert

Re: Thanks

Post by Louise »

Chili wrote:Thanks for enlightening me to the fact that there are no ways/clues to know how a child has done in the fair. When an ill parent has a child who with a very good chances of participating in the State Fair ( traveling 400 miles in May), it is very necessary/critical to plan ahead. Therefore Louise, in answer to your question>"What difference does it make?" Louise, I can tell you this: it makes a huge difference." :cry:
You would really plan your schedule based on our guess?

If knowing in advance is that critical, I suggest you talk with your child's teacher and/or science fair organizer. If getting to the state fair is a problem, assuming your child advances to that stage, I also suggest you talk to them, as they may be able to help.

Louise
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

Chili,
Congratulations to you and your child for a successful experience. It is always a good sign if judges appear interested and engaged in the presentation. I can understand that you are eager to learn the results, and I wish we were able to tell you more than "wait and see".
Again, congratulations, and I hope you will soon be headed to the State fair.

Chris

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”