Tracking Gene Expression; Biostatistics

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

sushants

Tracking Gene Expression; Biostatistics

Post by sushants »

I am currently in the beginning stages of developing my experimental design for my research project over the summer. In the course of my experiment I would like to track gene expression in real time, preferably without killing the specimen. There are multiple references to real time reverse transcription PCR, which as far as I can understand can track a gene's expression in a dead sample.

Is there a way to monitor gene expression in a live sample over a period of time?

Is this method applicable to when tracking multiple genes' expressions?

Do you have any personal recommendations of literature that is helpful in explaining biostatistics (in relation to experimental design), and where can I find said literature?

Sincerely,

Sushant
Sushant Sundaresh
Louise
Former Expert

Re: Tracking Gene Expression; Biostatistics

Post by Louise »

sushants wrote:I am currently in the beginning stages of developing my experimental design for my research project over the summer. In the course of my experiment I would like to track gene expression in real time, preferably without killing the specimen. There are multiple references to real time reverse transcription PCR, which as far as I can understand can track a gene's expression in a dead sample.

Is there a way to monitor gene expression in a live sample over a period of time?

Is this method applicable to when tracking multiple genes' expressions?

Do you have any personal recommendations of literature that is helpful in explaining biostatistics (in relation to experimental design), and where can I find said literature?

Sincerely,

Sushant
You should probably post this over in the lifesciences forum- the experts on that board know a lot more about this stuff.

I would think you would need access to a research lab to do the kind of work you are thinking of doing... people at that lab are probably the best resource for addressing your questions.

Make sure you know the appropriate policies for working with live specimens, both for the lab you are working in, and for whatever science fair you will be entering. You may also need pre-approval. See:
http://www.sciencebuddies.com/mentoring ... _src.shtml

Your science fair may have additional rules. (For example, microbiology projects were banned at my science fair.)

Biostatics is a huge field (or is a technique applied to many different subdisciplines in biology, range from public health to genetics), so you might get a better answer if you narrow down your question or provide more details about what you are doing/want to do.

Louise
sushants

Post by sushants »

I am working in a research institution on this project, and Terik has helped with the statistics issue, but in the course of looking through the src documents I realized that I need pre-approval.

I have a couple of questions about the continuation form (7).

I began my first project January 2007, and continued up through ISEF 2007 in May. If my project over the summer is a continuation of the original, do I count them as separate projects or as one year-long project? The ISEF rules say that a project can be submitted from January 2007-May 2008 provided it is worked on only over a 12 month continuous period, which I plan to do, but I have already submitted to ISEF once with the initial project. Should I therefore submit this summer's work as a new project, and if so, can you please explain what "Line of Investigation" means in the continuation form? Also, the form makes it seem like I would simply be repeating my experiment in the lab with minor changes. If I were to drastically change my perspective, my focus, and my research plan, but stayed in the same field of interest, would it still be considered a continuation?

Sincerely,
Sushant Sundaresh
Sushant Sundaresh
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

sushants wrote:I am working in a research institution on this project, and Terik has helped with the statistics issue, but in the course of looking through the src documents I realized that I need pre-approval.

I have a couple of questions about the continuation form (7).

I began my first project January 2007, and continued up through ISEF 2007 in May. If my project over the summer is a continuation of the original, do I count them as separate projects or as one year-long project? The ISEF rules say that a project can be submitted from January 2007-May 2008 provided it is worked on only over a 12 month continuous period, which I plan to do, but I have already submitted to ISEF once with the initial project. Should I therefore submit this summer's work as a new project, and if so, can you please explain what "Line of Investigation" means in the continuation form? Also, the form makes it seem like I would simply be repeating my experiment in the lab with minor changes. If I were to drastically change my perspective, my focus, and my research plan, but stayed in the same field of interest, would it still be considered a continuation?

Sincerely,
Sushant Sundaresh
Terik is the guy to ask about this stuff, as he is an ISEF master. If you cannot contact him (but I guess you can since he is helping you with biostats), let me know, and I'll ask him to respond here.

Louise
sushants

SRC pre-approval at Davis

Post by sushants »

I am working in Davis this summer, and Dr. Burrell from SYNOPSYS asked me to get preapproval for my SRC forms from my mentor. Does this mean I fill out the normal ISEF forms and have him sign them? Are there any other forms a college could have that would allow me SRC preapproval?

Sincerely,
Sushant
Sushant Sundaresh
Louise
Former Expert

Re: SRC pre-approval at Davis

Post by Louise »

sushants wrote:I am working in Davis this summer, and Dr. Burrell from SYNOPSYS asked me to get preapproval for my SRC forms from my mentor. Does this mean I fill out the normal ISEF forms and have him sign them? Are there any other forms a college could have that would allow me SRC preapproval?

Sincerely,
Sushant
As I've said, I don't know anything about ISEF. Terik is the expert, and he is not around. I've asked for anyone who knows about this to pop in, but so far no one has. I would contact ISEF directly and ask them. I don't know what SYNOPSYS is, but maybe a program coordinator there could help.

Louise
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Sushant,

I'm just got back from Israel today and will get back to you within the next two days. Don't stress about Burrell. She's reasonable and kindhearted.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”