I don't know how to write mentor request letter

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Gizmogirl
Project Question: The Correlation of severe asthma symptoms and phsychological stress among High School Students
Project Due Date: February 2, 2009
Project Status: I am just starting

I don't know how to write mentor request letter

Post by Gizmogirl »

I have looked on the website for an example of a mentor request letter but I still don't know how to write one. I don't really know how to write the letter without asking "will you be my mentor". Also if anyone knows a good mentor who is interested in oncology please tell me. I need a new mentor because I want to participate in the Siemens competition my senior year. I have been working on my project for three years and I have won 2 grandprize awards, 4 1st place awards, one second place award and 1 honorable mention and 1 special award so I know pretty much what I am going to do I just need a mentor to work with. I was going to try using a curable virus on a tumor or cancer cell culture. Let me explain, viruses will either lyse the cancer cell or convert the cancer cell and when the cancer cell is converted then I will add the vaccine and take a cell count. I hypothsize that the cells will die. I want to experiment with different types of cancer on this. I would like to use mice too. I would like to use the virus on a tumor that has metastasize and on a tumor that has not spread yet. :(
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

Instead of asking them to be your mentor, ask if you can meet and talk with them about their research, and/ or ask if they can recommend people who might be willing to serve as your mentor. If they can recommend themselves, they will. It's fine to let them know that you are seeking a mentor, or even that you might be interested in working in their lab, but if you haven't met them in person it's probably too early to put them in the position of saying "yes" or "no".
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by tdaly »

Totally agree with what Chris says. The first step should be to meet in person with the individual. Talk with them about their research, their interests, etc. Then talk about what you would like to do/already have done. If they can help you, they will tell you.
All the best,
Terik
Gizmogirl
Project Question: The Correlation of severe asthma symptoms and phsychological stress among High School Students

Just ask?

Post by Gizmogirl »

Do I have to meet him/her in person? I understand your explanation, however, I doubt that they will want to meet with me by the first email or phone call. I would also not feel very comfortable meeting with someone that fast, I would need to talk to them or email them a few times before the actual meeting date.
Gizmogirl

cont

Post by Gizmogirl »

While talking about their interests about oncology should I include my projects with oncology also.
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Re: Just ask?

Post by ChrisG »

Gizmogirl wrote:I doubt that they will want to meet with me by the first email or phone call. I would also not feel very comfortable meeting with someone that fast, I would need to talk to them or email them a few times before the actual meeting date.
Why don't you send the letter and then see how it goes? If they want more info via email or phone before meeting you, they will ask. Many researchers will be glad to meet with you at any time to discuss your project ideas, especially if they think it might be relevant to their own work.

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”